Can a local profile be changed to roaming

itdude59

I made this post earlier.. And decided it may be better suited as a seperate topic.:

Is it possible for a computers local profile to be changed to roaming? As of now all of the users in my network log on to their computer locally rather than the domain. I just want them to be able to access their programs on other computers on the network. So far good ol' Remote Desktop has acted as a digital ductape of sorts. btw the server os is Win2003 server and all of the users are using XP Pro.

I'm sure this is a noob question... Srry

Edited by itdude59

I'm pretty sure all you need to do is copy their local profile to a new share on the server, and then in the User settings in AD you need to input the path to the users profile on the share.

So lets say you make a new share on your server called "Profiles". And in that folder you copy over the profile of a user, let's call him "Jack". So the UNC to the profile would be:

\\server\Profiles\Jack

In the AD Users and Computers app, locate Jack and go to the properties. Look for Profile, then enter the UNC into the Profile Path field.

A bit of warning though, Roaming Profiles can be very painful. When a user logs onto a machine, the server transfers the WHOLE profile to the local computer. That means if a user has a lot of files in their My Documents it's gonna take a really long time. And that goes both ways too I believe, meaning shutdown/logoff times are increased.

There is something called Folder Redirection which is getting more popular as it offers similar results but with much less network traffic.

I couldn't get that to work. :(( The problem is.. Before I came to work here, the network was set up as a workgroup. With no server. As of now, I set up a server, and a domain, and i have a domain profile for everyone.

We have a tiny network (12 users), but they all have to use these certain programs. A workgroup would probably be ideal(which is technically what they operate in now)but, in the event of a replaced/new computer or a new user, I have to kill half a day installing various programs on the new computer.. I just thought if i could take their local/workgroup profile or moreover, the programs used on the profile, and make them roam.. It might save me trouble down the line.

Im positive i did everything you suggested right.. It just wouldn't carry over installed programs.. (or at least the ones I need).

btw I know of folder redirection...but.. not sure what that would entail. I appreciate the help though... Anymore would be greatly appreciated, as well!!

Well first off my steps aren't 100%...I may have missed something somewhere...check this out:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...erver-2003.html

Now in most cases when you install a program, the bulk of it is installed in "C:\Program Files". However, user configurations are stored in the "Application Data" folder of the user profiles. So, if you install Firefox, the program is installed to "C:\Program Files\Firefox", but the users profile (Which contains Bookmarks, Histroy, Cache, etc) is stored in "C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Mozilla...". What that means is that the customizable aspects of the program will follow the user. However, if that user logs onto a machine that doesn't have Firefox already installed then they won't be able to use it...follow me?

Now Folder Redirection is a neat little thing that does much of the same, but in a different way. You can enable Folder Redirection in the Group Policy for the Desktop, My Documents, Start Menu, and Application Data. Most, like myself, will use it for My Documents (So they always have access to their personal files) and Application Data (So their custom program settings follow them). But, instead of copying the files over the network at logon/logoff, Folder Redirection tells the computer to look to a share on the server instead. This is good in that you don't waste a ton of time moving files, and it's bad because the files are always on the server, and that can slow things down in certain situations. For instance, if you have a 500MB file in your My Documents and you go to open it, the local computer will first have to get the file from the server, and then when it's saved it will have to put it back on the server. To most, that's okay...ten seconds to access a file each time is better than ten minutes at each logon/logoff.

Some people, like the guy in the link I provided, use a mixture of both. I don't do that, at least not until I get a few other things straightened out.

Folder Redirection is also limited to the items I specified...this too is a b***h in certain situations. Outlook stores it's data files in the "Local Settings\Application Data" folder of the user profile, which you can't redirect. Also, Folder Redirection means that if a user sits down at one PC and customizes things and the goes to another PC those changes won't follow the user. That's because the file that holds those changes, "ntuser.dat", isn't in the any folder that can be redirected.

You mentioned you wanted to make sure that all users/computers have the same applications. If those programs come in an MSI installer, then you can use Group Policy to make sure that any computer attatched to the domain will have that program installed. Of course, many don't use MSI installers, which makes them useless here. But you can find some custom installs (Firefox comes to mind again) that will allow you to do this. Essentially, if you dropped a new computer on your network then after two logons the computer would have all the programs you would need installed. It takes two for various reasons...maybe even more.

Whew...big post. If I lost you anywhere, just ask away...I'm no expert but I've been learning the same thing for the past few months so it's kinda fresh in my memory. Good Luck!

I think its a lost cause. Everything is going fine as a workgroup, I'm just being picky I guess. I thought maybe there was a way to make any/all programs roam.. I do appreciate the help, wanted to make sure I tried everything..

I do have another question though.. Remote desktop connection.. I've got several users using that as a way to connect to my server and use a common program. But, when I try to use RDC to connect to any other pc(other than the server), no one else can log on to that computer.. This may sound stupid but, is that just one more thing a server can do and a client pc cannot, or, is there a hidden setting that I am overlooking.

I know my network sounds like a mess, but it works very well actually. ;)

Yeah, the RDP on WinXP is limited to one user...I remember seeing someone mention there are hacks that can allow up to three connections, but that's a hack so it's not official. Also, I seem to remember hearing that with SP2 that you can have one using the computer locally and one via RDP...are your clients at SP2?