Solution for Norton SystemWorks 2005

gosherm

:(

Ok, Things went well, except Ghost Still Installed and Cleansweep did not appear.

I used the exact remove stuff from the install, Here is what there was...

REMOVE=Image32,Norton_Registry_Tracker,Norton_Registry_Editor,Norton_File_Compare,DOS_Applications,N

orton_Optimization_Wizard

It should have a few other items on here. I Do not see Ghost listed here as it SHOULD be. :}

So does anyone have any more info on this? The install worked good. Most important the NAV didn't install. The other big one is No Ghost, Then I will be happy. :thumbup

I Know I am close but what am I missing? I Followed the instructions EXACT.

Ok, Things went well, except Ghost Still Installed and Cleansweep did not appear.

Ok, let me get this straight. You DO NOT want Ghost, and you DO want Cleansweep?

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait to address this further until I get home from work tonight... I don't seem to have NSW (the unmangled copy) on my computer anymore, so I'll have to pull it back off the CD. BTW, I assume that since it has Ghost that you are using NSW Premier 2005? (I haven't bought 2006 yet... it probably won't happen until it's free after rebate either.)

[edit]

Well, I went on the assumption that you DO NOT want Ghost and you DO want Cleansweep. The information has been added to the first post -- let me know if there are problems with it, but it seems to work just fine for me.

Edited by gosherm

Hi There,

Ok, I will check what you posted and try it and get back to you....

Thanks!!! :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

[EDIT]

Ok, I tried it, and yes I have Premier 2005.

I get to Norton Antivirus, Feature: SysOpt

and it comes up with a message in a Box "Norton Systemworks Premier 2005 configuration has failed. Do you want to try to install again?"

This message did not come up until I made the changes in the two Ghost Files. Is there more to be removed from the Ghost Files?

[EDIT 2]

Ok, I replaced the Original Ghost Files and still same message. I am going to start fresh and make all the changes again.

Edited by X-Savior

Well, I re-did all the steps layed out to Edit to custom the install and remove NAV. Then Edit to remove Ghost and I Still get the Error when it switches from Norton Systemworks to Antivirus on the previous post.

Any Feedbackon this? Never got this error last night when I tested without changing Ghost Files. But if I replace them with the originals I STILL get the error. :wacko:

That's weird. I've never had anything continue to give the error message after replacing the original MSIs.

Ok, try this.

1. Reset your VM, preferable back to a "just finished installing XP, nothing else really installed" state if possible (I assume that you're using a VM to test this... if you're doing this on a live box, there's a whole different set of issues that needs to be addressed, starting with using the SymNRT tool to do a complete removal of everything Symantec related).
  2. Put together a clean NSW folder (recopy it from your CD) and make all of the changes you would like to make (including the ones for ghost).
  3. Force MSI logging, if you haven't done it already. Here's the reg file to use:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
    "Debug"=dword:00000003
    "Logging"="vicewarmup"

4. Empty the %temp% folder of all content.
  5. Run the install using your unattended command line.
  6. From the %temp% folder, grab the NSW related log files, and see if you can determine what is causing the error and post at least that, perhaps the whole file (as a d/l or something I guess, as it can be rather lengthy).

[edit]

I just went through this procedure myself, completely reediting the MSI files from scratch with no problems whatsoever. So, if you're still having problems, let me take a look at the log files.

Edited by gosherm

Hey!

Ok, I will try this tonight at home. BTW, I am using a machine for this. Maby my problem is a small residual of the original install's. I used Fix It 6 to clean out the reg. But I will try this tool you mentioned and try my install again.

I really appreciate the help!!!! :D

I Will post an Edit Tonight after I try again.

Hi There,

I FINALLY got some time to test it out. After I used the Norton Removal Tool everything intalled fine without any hitches. :rolleyes:

B) Thank You Very Much, you have been a GREAT help. You have also helped me start to understand how to edit MSI Files.

We will see what Systemworks 2006 will bring us. I Know you help will be required then that happens.

[EDIT]

Now, about Ghost. I am trying to slim down the install package. Can I remove all the contents of both Ghost directory's and leave just the MSI's?

Edited by X-Savior

You have also helped me start to understand how to edit MSI Files.

Now, about Ghost. I am trying to slim down the install package. Can I remove all the contents of both Ghost directory's and leave just the MSI's?

As far as the MSI files go, it's actually quite a bit easier to figure out what's going on with them if you use a full installation creator (such as Installshield or Wise for Windows). Because they're not free, and Orca is, that's the tool that I've chosen to use when giving instructions. However, what I usually do is use an installation creator and it's wondeful debugging feature to figure things out. Then I dump the changed file and the original files (using Orca's export) and do a line-by-line compare to find the differences and write those up. (Not to mention lots of testing.)

As far as removing the remaining Ghost files, you sure can do that, worked just fine for me. I definately understand about trying to shrink things down, the last time I tried to burn my Unattended DVD it was too big to fit on one disc, so I had to go through and trim things down (Office is the big one... still need to get to that I suppose.)

Edited by gosherm

Hey There,

Yea, I should strip it down as well. All I did for the large apps is do a max compression with Winrar in a self extract /w silent. Then I call them up in Xplode so it will create the directorys, expand the files and then launch the Batch file for installation. :thumbup

Works well and this way I can keep the DVD up-to-date very simply by keeping all the apps modular. I am constantly making revisions. I am now on RC0 with your fix you have helped me with. :)