SDS Build 0003

Hi guys!

As you can read on my blog, I am finishing my work on core of SDS.

See martinzugec.blogdrive.com

Soon I will release the beta version, however right now I am searching for person, that is willing to write some documentation (I am horrible at this, you know)...

Any volunteer will be mentioned and will have primary access to SDS products & news.

Ok, I got some time right now, so I will try to describe what exactly is this "SDS" project about...

For those who dont know what are tools like SMS, USD or Tivoli for:

The main reason for these tools to live is to provide ability to install programs and/or performs some commands remotely.

Lets take an example - you are administrator in company with about 50 computers. You created your Windows XP unattended installation with DirectX 8.0...

However after some time Microsoft released DirectX 9.0 - what to do now?

Of course you modify your installation source and replace old DirectX with new version, however what to do with already installed computers?

Now its the time for management tools - they will allow you to deploy this SW to many computers...

There is one problem - there isnt any free solution. So I decided to combine few of technologies I am using at deployment today and to create SDS - free management tool.

For example you can create job, that will install Office 2003 and command SDS to install this office to computers PC1000, PC1001 and PC1002...

SDS will take care of the rest - it will install the SW or install it when computers are available (this is quite important).

Some informations about SDS:

Types of operations -

a.) Installations - like Office2003 or DirectX

b.) Commands - like Restart_Computer or Disable_AutoLogon

c.) Groups - like for example group Optimalize, that will run commands Disable_Services, Delete_Shortcuts and Optimalize_Computer

Executions

You can select between local and remote execution. This means who requested the operation.

For example you can command "Install Office2003 to computer PC1000" - this is remote execution. Or you can say "I just finished ua installation, install group Standart_software to this computer" - which is local execution

What language is SDS programmed in?

You maybe wont believe me, but whole SDS is "programmed" in normal batches...

However I implemented few advanced techniques like name parameters (/operation:installation etc.)

When will be beta available

It depends... I first need to write some documentation and I am really TERRIBLE at writing things so people can understand what I mean. That is why I am searching for someone, that will take care of this problem :(

Example of Group?

It is quite simple:

This is group DotNetFramework:

Group.ini:

Installation=DotNET_Framework_1.1

Installation=DotNET_Framework_1.1_SP1

This is group Optimize_Computer:

Group.ini:

Command=Optimize_Computer
Command=Disable_Services
Command=Delete_Shortcuts

Example of Installation?

Again - it is quite simple ;)

DotNET_Framework_1.1`s Job.cmd:

Title SDS Operation
Set pathInstallationPath=%~dp0
msiexec /i "%pathInstallationPath%Job\netfx.msi" /qb

Example of Command?

Disable_AutoLogon´s Job.cmd:

Set strAutoLogonKey=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

reg delete "%strAutoLogonKey%" /v AutoAdminLogon /f
reg delete "%strAutoLogonKey%" /v DefaultUserName /f
reg delete "%strAutoLogonKey%" /v DefaultPassword /f

Edited by Martin Zugec

Available parameters

Available parameters are

/Operation:Installation/Command/Group
Here you can select the type of operation you are trying to perform.

/Job:job_name
Here you specify the name of the job.

/Machine:machine_name
Here you specify the name of the remote computer.

/Automated:Global_job_name
This is automatically created parameter used in automated installations. Ignore it.

/Restart:Yes/No
This defines if target computer should be restarted BEFORE installation.

/Storage:Local/Remote
Not yet fully implemented - this will define if target computer should run installation from Remote (server) or download files first.

/Execution:Local/Server
Defined if the operation is performed on computer that run SDS or it should be performed on remote computer. This is not needed - for most parameters SDS have intelligent variable creation (for example if you specify /Machine, but didnt specify /Execution, SDS automatically decide that /Execution should be set to Server)

/AllowDefaultPackages:Yes/No
You can use default start/end packages for you operations. These packages will be always included before/after operation. For example typical "closing" operation is Restart_Computer.

/InstallationMethod:RunOnceEx/PsExec/Scheduled
Defined a method for installation. Scheduled is not implemented yet, however RunOnceEx is working perfectly and I am now working on PsExec method (it is working, however I need to debug first). Most reliable method is RunOnceEx + /Restart:Yes.

I will provide you with some examples:

Install Office2003 on computer PC1000 and automatically restart it.

SDSMain.cmd /Operation:Installation /Job:Office2003 /Machine:PC1000 /Restart:Yes

Run group of commands named Optimalization on current computer

SDSMain.cmd /Operation:Optimalization /Job:Optimalization

Edited by Martin Zugec