Extract drivers from WinXP cd

Reptilicus

Hi.

I've searched forums and google and couldn't find anything, so maybe you can help me.

Im making solo install of XP, and and i would like to slipstream my printer drivers, like i did with sound & video card. It's an HP 670c. HP tells me that the drivers are already in the WinXP cd, so i cant download them form their site.

I use nLite, so the only thing i got to do (i think) is find them in the Windows install cd, get them out, and then somehow slipstream them with nL.

I found a cab called "drivers.cab" with a bunch of files inside. Is there a way to identify the one i want?

Thanks

Im making solo install of XP, and and i would like to slipstream my printer drivers, like i did with sound & video card. It's an HP 670c. HP tells me that the drivers are already in the WinXP cd, so i cant download them form their site.

I use nLite, so the only thing i got to do (i think) is find them in the Windows install cd, get them out, and then somehow slipstream them with nL.

Sounds like you've misunderstood something along the way, Reptilicus. The term slipstream as so often used in this forum can be defined as "adding something to the Windows CD that is not originally there." For example, you can slipstream SP2 into an RTM (or gold, if you prefer) version of Windows XP. The result is that, rather than installing a vanilla version of XP when the resulting CD is used, XP is installed pre-patched to SP2.

HP says that the drivers already exist on the Windows XP CD, so there is no need to slipstream the drivers; someone (likely Microsoft, in partnership with HP) has already done it for you.

What, exactly, is it that you are looking to do? If you are hoping to have your printer set up during the uA install, I'm afraid I think you are out of luck. I am no driver expert, but I seem to recall reading on the forum here that no one, as of yet, has managed to find a way to make that work. I suspect that is part of, if not the, reason that Bâshrat hasn't made a Printers Driver Pack.

Hope this helps, or at least clears some things up for you.

Ops, i messed up with the term. Sorry, english it's not my native language and im doing what i can :blushing:

If you are hoping to have your printer set up during the uA install, I'm afraid I think you are out of luck. I am no driver expert, but I seem to recall reading on the forum here that no one, as of yet, has managed to find a way to make that work. I suspect that is part of, if not the, reason that Bâshrat hasn't made a Printers Driver Pack.

What i wanted was extract the HP drivers out of the CD and save them...

Then take out ALL the printer drivers with nLite...

And then attach ONLY the HP drvs, using nLite again.

Anyway, im glad to know i can't do it, so i can stop busting my head around with that. Thanks for replying, Catoonite.

What i wanted was extract the HP drivers out of the CD and save them...

Then take out ALL the printer drivers  with nLite...

And then attach ONLY the HP drvs, using nLite again.

I had forgotten just how much stuff nLite lets you take out. ;)

This should theoretically be possible, although you would definitely need to identify which drivers are need for your printer to slipstream them manually (or even via nLite) once you have removed all the other drivers.

Not sure what would be the best way to do that. Maybe one of the more experienced forum members could help point you in the right direction. The drivers.cab file is probably where they are stored, and maybe even just expanding it and taking a look at the file list would be a good starting point.

My understanding is that you will still need to install the drivers manually once the Windows installation is complete, but you could still conceivably save a lot of space on your CD by removing all the unnecessary drivers.

My understanding is that you will still need to install the drivers manually once the Windows installation is complete, but you could still conceivably save a lot of space on your CD by removing all the unnecessary drivers.

Ok, it just hit me.

Im gonna try installing the drivers using a system monitoring tool, like Advanced Uninstaller. My guess is that when the process is over, it will tell me the files that were affected.

I've found a lot of HP .inf files, but none printer related (just scanners and other stuff).

Man, those extra 30 MB's are just tempting me. Got to get them out of there.