Help, .doc files are scrambled

03GrandAmGT

Hi All,

I am having a problem with alot of my *.doc, *.txt, *.rtf files. The problem occured today while I was trying to update some of my word files (*.doc), below is an example of one of the files I opened.

Example:

ºDs ä ªGø àì? óv—e ss@ sþ `ïó³

¡æ¾~e§íÓËe + ²yQ.íq UBX‘Xow":ù‹/ †Âã]ýO€ã.”{¢Æå| G©;T2 ÍØ )•L ¡# ˜ÂÆû=}bß1 `Ëa)—Ø?y € dS¢74H B

þ: $V@ l„ ?n’|eçC$ƒX(5? ú@?úà

è ` \ˆ c¿¿3ˉ ìÊ {h $ tð À

³½á{÷] ¨]Ú> ³€ }H€?ú€?÷¾à ]€¿ ¦õ]µEeÁðå)² 9Ïq H»Öãºó» ¨ìƒ²0Œ^[Ô ì[×Í,Á²T”zð Du|®âÂ’E-°€;x ó¦¡ã ¥Ûú{ÞfJ‘LµU•Åj{ío¤ Ô ÇÓD¹ï À­Û$»?»N) H X GÄu?¾Ýù•t9, ܪ ÿíòîg¸ Î﷓NT!1·€/ø | ¿Šg]ûXt›Q¯q dÌÛ Â

° v „ N ¢ê( ˜‹ìDàM7—\6T﷓XÖÉô ƒÿð ÷’8 ð ` À

I do not know what happenned but out of 250 files only a handfull will work. I have tried opening the same file on several other machines with the same results. I first thought "VIRUS" but running NAV on the files with the latest NAV definitions, the same thing happens. I have also looked at M$ site for info but nothing. This is also happening with some of my Excel files also. These files where created by me and I know for a FACT that they were saved in there respective formats.

Thanks

jd

Edited by Jdmero

Try opening them in word pad? Did you do any ms updates? Do you see in recovery notes? Other failures?

Ya, already tried that. Nothing different :realmad: I have even tried reloading my backups with NO luck. Have even re-installed my admin install point with no luck. Where do I find recovery notes?? This is office 2k Pro, and I have never seen that function. Thought it was only on 2003??

Below is what I have already tried.

1. Re-install Admin Install Point on server. No Updates.

2. Re-install Admin Install Point on server. With Updates.

3. Restore my backups, dating to 12/2004 Last known working.

4. Used R-Studio NTFS to restore scratched files.

5. Tried on a standalone desktop not connected to network.

6. Ran Norton Anti Virus. NO VIRUS FOUND

7. Tried using Wordpad.

8. Tried using Notepad for Sh%%s and Grins

9. Tried changing template. (The Fonts, Size & Style are Grayed out when opening file).

NONE of the above work :realmad::realmad::realmad:

When opening these files it appears that there might be something missing that points to the Normal.dot file for the type of font and size information. Question is could these be recovered using a hex editor and re-setting a bit???? If so where could the bit be located within the file?? What is a good hex editor today???

Thanks

John