[Problem] Wrong File deletion behavior

egrath

Hi,

just this moment i encountered a Problem when deleting a File out of a Tree which is generated when saving a Webpage with Firefox in "WebPage, complete" Mode. It's so strange i even dont believe what i see here.

When you save a Webpage with Firefox it generates a File with the Html Code and a folder xxxxx_files which contain the images, js files, ... - now try to delete the html file: The Folder is removed too! Just try it yourself and be surprised (I use FireFox 1.0.3 on Windows XP SP2)

Ok, first i thought maybe there are streams associated with the File - which could produce this strange behavior - bot no, there aren't any streams.

Below is a series of screens describing visually what happens:

file1.gif

Saved www.google.com to a local Folder

file3.gif

No Streams are associated with the File

file2.gif

Marked the HTML file and deleted it => No files anymore in the Folder

Any ideas whats going wrong here? Tried this on a few of my machines - each shows the same behavior.

Egon

This is normal behaviour for Windows XP. XP treats an HTML file and the corresponding folder of media (images, sounds) as a single file - rename one, it renames the other - delete one, it deletes the other.

It's a bit confusing, but somewhat makes sense. There's an option to change this behaviour in Microsoft's TweakUI.