remove drive permissions

hello all...

I am a bit lost with setting permissions in windows server 2003.

I have two firewire external backup drives that are swapped out each morning, having had a backup written to it the night before.

I want to give permissions to a "Backup Operator" to go into the device manager and uninstall the drive, but I can not figure out how to do it other than to give them full Administrator rights.

Any advice?

Thanks

Raymond

Thanks At0mic...

But I still have a problem. I found the local policy but can't change it.

I am loged on as the Administer and I can cange some of the settings, but the one for "load and unload device drivers" has a grayed out button for add user or group. There is an information message that says:

"This setting is not compatable with computers running Windows 2000 service pack 1 or earlier. Apply group policy objects containing this setting only to computers running a later version of the operating system"

Whats that all about? It is a windows server 2003 system with service pack 1.

I have seen no other service packs for server 2003.

Any thoughts?

• 6 months later...
But I still have a problem. I found the local policy but can't change it.

I am loged on as the Administer and I can cange some of the settings, but the one for "load and unload device drivers" has a grayed out button for add user or group. There is an information message that says:

"This setting is not compatable with computers running Windows 2000 service pack 1 or earlier. Apply group policy objects containing this setting only to computers running a later version of the operating system"

Whats that all about? It is a windows server 2003 system with service pack 1.

I have seen no other service packs for server 2003.

The same problem I met with..

The only difference that in my case the inactive setting is the "Log on as a service" ...

Yesterday I added a new domain service user to the Domain Security Policy's "Log on as a service" field.

There're 2 W2k SP4 DCs here, Native mode (no pre-2000 DCs). The server I'm trying to set is W2K3 SP1, up-to-date.

Any ideas?

Edited by wadmatch