NIC Teaming

Taggs

We have had a problem with our back-ups on SOME servers with teamed NIC's. I don't want to get into the in's and out's of this in this thread. :)

It transposes my manager wants me to right a report on ADV and DisADV of teamed and NON-teamed NIC's

I have found info on Teaming and exactly how it works but I am currently unable to find info on dual NIC's (not teamed) and how they work. (NIC's are on the same network segment)

Can anybody give me some info or piont me in the right direction please.

Thanks

Taggs

Hi,

Dual-NIC's? Do you mean NIC's which have two Ethernet Ports which can be used independent? If so, those cards most of the time have either two Ethernet Controller Chips built onboard or a single chip which supports more than one Port. Adaptec once sold a Ethernet NIC which has 4 Ethernet Ports (don't know if they sell it right now)

For Teaming, it's a fantastic thing when you either want to have link failover or load balancing - or both. For Load Balancing your Switch has to support Teaming (aka EtherChannel on Cisco). We use Teaming in Failover Mode on most of our HP ProLiant Servers and had never been encountered any Problems - it work's just smooth and reliable.

Teamed Nic Pros:

*) Fault tolerant

*) If configured, more Performance

Teamed Nic Cons:

*) More administrative work (Managing/Documenting Switchports)

*) Another layer of Software between the OS and the NIC which may be fail

Hope that helps.

Bye, Egon

Hi Egrath,

I'm talking about having 2 single port ethernet cards. I remember reading something a long time ago about how the OS handles these (send one kind of data on one card and another on the second) but I can't remember what or where I read this.

I know all about NFT, TLB (we use this) and SLB (we dont have switch-assissed boxes :( ) but thanks for the info. :thumbup

Anybody else know about multiple un-teamed NIC's ?

Hi Egrath,

I'm talking about having 2 single port ethernet cards. I remember reading something a long time ago about how the OS handles these (send one kind of data on one card and another on the second) but I can't remember what or where I read this.

I know all about NFT, TLB (we use this) and SLB (we dont have switch-assissed boxes :( ) but thanks for the info. :thumbup

Anybody else know about multiple un-teamed NIC's ?