another partition HDD

Hi

I'm new here so please don't cruel.

I've created my own win xp pro/sp2 unattended cd and it works great.

Now I'm trying to get it to install my apps after setup is complete but I have my applications(nero, officexp, powerdvd6 ect. ect...) on a seperate HDD which i use just for apps only(it's a lot faster). On the UACD my cmdlines.txt is in the $OEM$, Runonceex is in $OEM$ which parallel to i386. I went through the whole UA forum but still couldn't find how to write runonceex for this purpose, this is a sample of my runonceex. Any and all help would be very appreciated, thanks.

cmdow @ /HID

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\IE Setup\Setup" /v "RunOnceExLogFile" /d

"RunOnceExLog.txt" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "DVDshrink" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\dvdshrink.exe /SP /VERYSILENT /NOREBOOT" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "Media Player 10" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\mp10setup.exe /Q:A /R:N /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore"" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\016 /VE /D "DVD-Decrypter 3.5.1.0" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\016 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\dvddecrypter\SetupDVDDecrypter_3.5.1.0.exe /S" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\1005 /VE /D "Installing PowerDVD6" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\1005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\PowerDVD6\Setup.exe -s -f1\"%systemdrive%\Install\PowerDVD6\setup.iss\" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE /D "Importing Registry Tweaks" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\regtweaks.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT :(

This is exactly how I install my applications after a reformat. I use RunOnceEx to do it.

You can set up your RunOnceEx in two ways:

If your second hard disk drive has the same path all the time (if it's always recognized as d:, for example) you can just put that directly into the RunOnceEx. For instance, your line:

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\dvdshrink.exe /SP /VERYSILENT /NOREBOOT" /f

becomes:

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "D:\install\dvdshrink.exe /SP /VERYSILENT /NOREBOOT" /f

assuming, of course, the file is located in the D:\install directory.

I even have my RunOnceEx file on the second hard drive, so I can edit it on the fly. (I'm at work right now and don't have the exact command to call it, but if you need it I'll post it later.)

The other way you could set it up, if the drive does not always have the same path, is to follow the directions for CD-based installations of programs (have a file in the root of the drive named install.txt or whatever, do the "if exist..." commands).

I agree, putting the programs on the second hard drive results in a much faster install than installing from CD, even from DVD. If you need any assistance, PM me.

Now...just need to figure out how to run Windows install from the second hard drive, thus eliminating the need to create new CD every time... :)

Thanks a lot for the info.

My D drive is the same all the time, which is why I'm trying to set it up this way. All Programs are in D:\install\prog name

When you get the chance I would really like to get the exact command to call runonce from D drive.

Once again thanks

Thanks for the help, I'm going to try this but quick questions.

You put runonceex.cmd and useraccount.cmd on the d drive.

Are your cmdlines.txt and cmdow.exe still in the $oem folder?

How exactly do you set it up?

Thanks again!

Actually, my useraccounts.cmd file is still in $OEM$. I suppose it could be placed in the D:\ drive, as long as you had the path to it in cmdlines.txt.

cmdlines.txt has to be in the $OEM$ folder, as far as I know.

I place cmdow in the $OEM$ -> $$ -> System32 folder, which automatically copies it to %windir%\System32.

@jrf2027

I am not 100% sure as I don't have my test machine at the moment to try this out for you (you may also have already tried it). But assuming that you have your image in d:\xpcd\ then this command at a DOS prompt from within Windows should work. I have tried this before for Network installs and is OK.

d:\xpcd\i386\winnt32.exe /unattend1:d:\xpcd\winnt.sif /s:d:\xpcd\i386 /tempdrive:d:

You may have to rename your winnt.sif to unattend.txt. With the network installs I did, I had problems getting the setup to format the drive. I think that was maybe because I was setting tempdrive to c: where I was installing the OS to.

Hope this helps...

In fact cmdow.exe is in the $OEM$\$$\System32 folder, RunonceEx.cmd, cmdlines.txt & useraccounts.cmd are still in the $OEM$ folder. I won't be able to try this till later.

So just move the RunonceEx.cmd to The D drive and leave the rest as is?

thanks

@Brindamour:

I tested that last night. Right now, the problem I have is that my XP Pro CD is a retail upgrade edition, and it doesn't seem to want to do a full install - it will only allow upgrades when running winnt32.exe. I was able to get it to work with a Dell OEM XP Pro CD that I use at the office, but since my home Dell did not ship with XP from the factory I can't use it on my home computer.

I'm working on this, though, and hopefully I will find a solution to it.

@bish542002:

Just move RunOnceEx.cmd to the D:\ drive. Like I said, you may want to try running useraccounts.cmd from the D:\ drive too, if you change your users frequently enough to justify it. Otherwise it's probably OK on your CD.

I have my RunOnceEx.cmd on D:\install\RunOnceEx.cmd, cmdlines.txt and useraccounts.cmd is in \xpcd\$OEM$ and cmdow.exe is in \XPCD\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32.

How can I test this to see if it works? Because VMware is not going to recognize the D drive.

Could you please let me know if the examples and my setup are good?

RunOnceEx.cmd (d:\install\RunOnceEx.cmd)

cmdow @ /HID

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\IE Setup\Setup" /v "RunOnceExLogFile" /d

"RunOnceExLog.txt" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "DVDshrink 3.2" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "D:\install\dvdshrink.exe /SP /VERYSILENT /NOREBOOT" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "Media Player 10" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "D:\install\MP10Setup.exe /Q:A /R:N /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore"" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\016 /VE /D "DVD-Decrypter 3.5.4.0" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\016 /V 1 /D "D:\install\DVDDecrypter.exe /S" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE /D "Importing Registry Tweaks" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S D:\install\regtweaks.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\cleanup.cmd" /f

cmdlines.txt (xpcd\$OEM$)

Commands]

"cmd /c start /min cmd /c D:\Install\RunOnceEx.cmd"

"useraccounts.cmd"