Programmatically/Automate setting of DVD Region?

GSB

Hi,

Firstly, I hope this is the correct section to ask.

The background:

I have repackaged a DVD player application (into an MSI). However, as this is deployed to workstation's where the users are not Admins, I have a problem on workstations where the DVD drive does not yet have it's region set (preferably to 2!). When run as an admin user, the application prompts on first use in this scenario, for the region to be set - like setting the region in device manager I guess. This I believe sets the region on the DVD drive firmware. However, as a regular user, this fails. WIthout a region set to something on the drive, the software fails.

So, I am looking for a way to script or automate setting the region code of DVD drives where it is not already set - perhaps by a script, DLL or api call. I will probably implement this via a custom action in my MSI which will have elvated privileges. I should mention the OS is Windows XP Pro.

Any one got any ideas on programatically setting DVD region (only from a not set state, I am not trying to hack anything)?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Graham

Tip - From what I read, an RPC2 DVD drive will need a DVD of the region that is being set, to be in the drive, at the time of setting the region.

From what I have read, I belive "storprop.dll" could be the answer, but I have no idea what function(s) I need :(

This out of my area and league to be honest.

Does this give anyone any ideas?

thanks