multiple configurations

Hi all - this is my first post and i'm very new at creating unattended installs, so be patient!

i have a small office network of 5 machines - 4 using xp pro, 1 using win 2k as a file server.

i'm wondering if it is possible to create 1 unattended cd that would install on the 4 xp machines - using 4 different xp keys and having different configurations?

ie computer 1 will have name Computer1 and use key 1, install software x,y,z

computer 2 will have name Computer2 and use key 2, install software x, y, a, b, c

etc

is this possible from cd only?

from the research i have done it looks like this would be doable with a configuration disk - 1 for each machine

or over a network install

any thoughts / suggestions?

appreciate a turn in the right direction!

thanks

J

This problem is managed by using "profile" file - the "database" file that will find settings for your computer (based on your computer MAC address). From this file it will read informations like PC name and modify the unattend.txt (or winnt.sif), so it will containt the informations you need. Hope so this information helped you, if you encounter any problems just ask

hullo! thanks soulin - thats the kind of info i need. where do i find info on using/managing the 'profile' file? i'll try a search on here and see what i can come up with. i'll post back if i can't find what i'm looking for

thanks again!

J

Hi all - this is my first post and i'm very new at creating unattended installs, so be patient!

i have a small office network of 5 machines - 4 using xp pro, 1 using win 2k as a file server.

i'm wondering if it is possible to create 1 unattended cd that would install on the 4 xp machines - using 4 different xp keys and having different configurations?

ie computer 1 will have name Computer1 and use key 1, install software x,y,z

computer 2 will have name Computer2 and use key 2, install software x, y, a, b, c

etc

is this possible from cd only?

from the research i have done it looks like this would be doable with a configuration disk - 1 for each machine

or over a network install

any thoughts / suggestions? 

appreciate a turn in the right direction!

thanks

J

Well, if your 2k box is 2K Server, you can configure RIS (Remote Installation Services) and make riprep images of each unique box and store them on the server. The, if a system dies, you simply boot from a PXE compliant nic or a RIS boot floppy and restore the image onto the system. Check out this page for more info on RIS:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2000/install/RIS.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techi...remotesteps.asp

The same info for 2k also applies for 2k3. You will need to have some understanding on setting up DNS, DHCP, and I believe WINS. The other alternative would be to have a copy of Symantec Ghost handy and create ghost images of all your machines and store them on the server or a removeable drive. Again, system dies, and restore from ghost image. Check out Symantec's web site for more info on that. Hope this helps.