Server Consolidation

Taggs

virtual servers? its no replacement for the real thing IMHO :)

I've never tried Virtual server's so i cant really help with that, but how about just having less physical servers?

How about a little more info - how many servers have you got? what they running? what tasks does each one perform? etc

Regards,

N.

Server consolidation does not just mean using VMware or Microsoft Virtual Server to virtualize your server environment. While these products are commonly used in virtualization efforts they are not the only options.

There are many more things such as application consolidation, clustering, and load balancing that are used in consolidation efforts.

Server blade technologies, 1U servers, SAN's and NAS appliances are also used in consolidation efforts.

Before delving into an effort like this, research some of the above items. If you would like to discuss at length, please PM me.

Just seem all the posts on this Thanks.

Here are the answers to some of your questions.

@it_ybd

we have about 100 intel servers running Windows 2000 running a variety of different applications, ranging from a citrix farm to Email (Fujitsu's Teamware) to GIS mapping to IIS to SUS... to RIS.....etc...etc....etc

we have 50 or so Sun boxes ranging from v240's to v1280's running a variety of services from FTP file transfer to the mainframe to running open process for server monitoring to our housing applications(carefirst).

We have 1 linux server running apche.

We have 1 SAN EMC's CX400 and are currently purchasing a second SAN as this is now full (no we don't wont to upgrade it to a CX700! :no: )

@ JPry565

I will have a look into Windows Small Business Server 2003. Thanks :thumbup

@ tguy

I may get back to you in the near future, thank you for the offer. :D

@Taggs:

we have about 100 intel servers running Windows 2000 running a variety of different applications, ranging from a citrix farm to Email (Fujitsu's Teamware) to GIS mapping to IIS to SUS... to RIS.....etc...etc....etc
Niiice. Dont fancy throwing a few ones my way - although its taken years, I might (will lol) finally be able to get a exchange 2003 system up and running instead of our old NGFL eudora box (you don't even wanna go there lol).

I wish we had the budget for such things - looks like Labour ar winning... they best give education the cash we desperately need ;)

we have 50 or so Sun boxes ranging from v240's to v1280's running a variety of services from FTP file transfer to the mainframe to running open process for server monitoring to our housing applications(carefirst).

All great stuff, tho I've never used a Sun system, but I'm sure I've heard/read that they are well handy.

We have 1 linux server running apche.
No network would be complete without one lol ;)
We have 1 SAN EMC's CX400 and are currently purchasing a second SAN as this is now full (no we don't wont to upgrade it to a CX700!  )

Go for the in-place CX600 upgrade - you know you want to :P

Again, lovely stuff - i cud do with it if you do want to buy a brand new one lol ;)

You dont run the system's at a Uni by any chance (ps, you dont have to reply to that/or pm instead if ya like)? And if its a certain Uni near me, you dont have a network admin/engineer job going do ya?

I need something a bit more challenging lol and paid better (which wouldn't be hard lol) plus working with other IT literate people would be heaven compared to - "oh, so whats this IP address thing mean then? Is that the boot thing or something?! .....*sighs*

lol

Regards,

N.

PS 2003 Std/Ent/Web/Datacenter are possible options you might like. 2003 is a dream - I never had Server 2000 and we went from NT 4 (bless it) to Server 2003 which I found pretty easy (even tho I was a tad nervous at the time lol A bit of a buzz for a second was nice). Cheers.

@it_ybd

Sorry mate, I work (!?!?!??!!) for Govement in the midlands and I don't pull the strings for recruiting otherwise I'd be on alot more than the chocolate buttons I get paid.

BTY what is this IP thingy you talk about? ;)

Intel Processor

Intelligent People

Inky paper

LOL