Network not available when application installs ru

I have a WindowsXp install i am working on, using the RunOnceEX method for application installs, with the install stuff on a network share (I am installing AutoCAD, PhotoShop, InDesign, MS Office, Sketchup, etc. Lots of big installs). I am also trying to do some test runs using Microsoft VirtualPC as I only have one test machine to work with. My problem is, when I do the install, the application installs fail because the network is not 'ready' when the installs start. So, I am wondering what the best way to address this is? I read recently about a Group Policy setting to force logon to wait for the network, so that Group Policy stuff is guaranteeed to be applied imediately, and I was thinking perhaps i could create a Group Policy for the Local Administrator group? Or I could just do some sort of pause in the RunOnceEX, to wait for the network before doing the actual installs. I don't like that option, as it sounds a bit kludgy.

So, anyone dealt with this? Is there a good answer? Monday I will wipe the physical machine and verify that I do NOT have the same problem wth a real build, but if I don't, I would still like to find an answer for my VPC testing.

best,

Gordon