Restoring Office 2003 Settings Via Office Wizard

Back Up and Restore Office XP Settings with Save my Settings Wizard

The following process would help a user moving from one machine to the next. Or, if a computer needs to be "wiped" and have everything reinstalled, this backup would allow the settings to be restored.

The TIP's text is as follows...

-----------------------------------------------

The Save My Settings Wizard stores information about program options and preferences, custom templates and dictionaries, Outlook Signatures, and AutoCorrect lists to a file. You can also use the Save My Settings Wizard to restore settings.

TO BACK UP OFFICE XP SETTINGS by using the Save My Settings Wizard, follow these steps:

NOTE: When you start the Save My Settings Wizard, you will be prompted to quit any Office XP programs that may be running. Quit all Office XP programs before you perform this procedure.

NOTE: This wizard will not backup Outlook Rules. See TIP #2626 for help with backing up this information.

1. Click Start, Programs, Microsoft Office Tools, and Save My Settings Wizard.

2. On the first page of the wizard, click Next.

3. Click the "Save the settings from this machine" option, and then click Next.

4. Click the "Save the settings to a File" option and click Browse.

5. Re-name the "New Settings File.OPS" file to "Office Settings Backup.OPS".

(Be sure to leave the .OPS (Office Profile file) extension at the end.

6. Save the file to a convenient location. When ready, click Save.

7. Click Finish. Click Exit.

------

TO RESTORE UP OFFICE XP SETTINGS by using the Save My Settings Wizard, follow these steps:

NOTE: When you start the Save My Settings Wizard, you will be prompted to quit any Office XP programs that may be running. Quit all Office XP programs before you perform this procedure.

1. Click Start, Programs, Microsoft Office Tools, and Save My Settings Wizard.

2. On the first page of the wizard, click Next.

3. Click the "Restore previously saved settings to this machine" option. Click Next.

4. Click the "Restore the settings from a File" option.

5. If your previously created "Office Settings Backup.OPS" appears automatically in the box, click Finish. Otherwise, click Browse. Locate and open the "Office Settings Backup.OPS" file. Then, click Finish.

6. Wait for the restore to complete. Click Exit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the question is how to make restoring automated and silent.

• 4 weeks later...

While I know that this post is nearly a month old, I thought I'd make it my first contribution.

Not good a making batch files yet but this is the command. Office must be installed first.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\proflwiz.exe" /r "<path>\new settings file.ops" /q

Hope this helps somone