General App Install

Salvo2002

I shrunk my office down to about 68MB, and I have the 7z self extracting file office2003.exe. My question is how do I install it? I am assuming that I would put it in the $OEM$/$1/Install folder or something like that, but I am confused on where I call the file from and when?

Also I have been scaning/reading all the posts in the unattended forum, and I don't know what method to use to generally install any program. I've seen Xplode, WPI, RunOnceEX, WIHU, etc. and yes I did read the guide at the unattened homepage. :} Since I am a newbie what method would be easiest to understand? Also, I don't understand when the best time would be to install programs, like T-39, T-12.....I guess my point is that someone whould make like a timeline picture for newbies to explain what really happens in the setup process and the best time to install, reg tweaks, etc. And maybe give an example of a more experienced users timeline....

Your timeline is here:

http://unattended.msfn.org/global/timeline.htm

since you're a newbie, you don't want to use those methods you mentioned. Too confusing for someone with no experience. You want to use batch scripting.

read about that here: http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/me...ch_commands.htm

Once you understand batch files, just like the unattended guide says, you can get into more experienced methods like WPI, Xplode, etc... There's no sense rushing into anything because if something doesn't work like you think it should, you'll have no idea where to start troubleshooting, and that's the most frustrating part.

I could explain about the best options to run where, but to be honest, a lot will go right over your head because you don't have enough base knowledge. It's just like math... no sense teaching you how to divide if you can't add or subtract.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to insult you or anything, it's just a fact. People here have been at this for years and they are still learning something new everyday. I've been at this about 6months, and I'm a relative newcomer.

Just start slow, and you'll pick it up.

P.S. I would run a batch file at the GUIRunOnce section while you're learning.