Remote Desktop Client & Saved Settings

slig

Hi everybody,

i've got a problem at the moment with RDP clients on my network. Basically there is a user who needs to login to one of the servers as administrator, so I have saved the settings for the administrator username/password on their machine in the hopes that hey wouldn't need to re-enter it whenever they RDP in. Basically, from what I can tell, the settings have been saved, however when they load the settings and connect they are given the authentication dialog instead of being dropped straight into their terminal services session.

does anybody know how I might be able to have this user just load the settings for administrator, connect, and have it work without being prompted for auth? The point of this is that I don't want to give them the administrator password, but they need to log in as the administrator user, on this particular machine, a few times a day.

any suggestions?

btw: client is windows XP pro (sp2) connecting to Win2k authenticating from Active Directory. I'm not a native windows guy, so the more info the better - can't seem to find anything about this on search engines, but don't really know what i'm searching for. :)

tia.

• 2 weeks later...

I can do this on a Windows 2003 Server platform via the Group Policy snap-in. Doesn't seem to be available via Windows 2000 however - can anybody confirm this is the case?

By default you must authenticate each time. If you disable automatic authentication you open a huge hole in your network security. As anyone sitting at that machine could fire up Remote Desktop and have Admin access to your server.

• 3 weeks later...

You're already giving this user administrative rights. Why not just make his Active Directory account an Administrator of the server in question?

At least this way you wouldn't have to give up a sensitive password. Proper auditing will show that he was logged on when changes are made, and you don't have to worry about a cached password issue.

Is the action the user is supposed to be doing several times a day something that could be handled by an MMC instead of Remote Desktop into a server?