New Computer Build Problems!

charliebob

(System i'm using AMD64 3200+, gigabyte K8NXP-SLI,SATA Seagate barracude 200GB, crucial ballistix 1GB ram)

Hi, i'm having a problem installing XP on a new computer ive just built,

I've been looking around in the forums for a while and have tried a few different things but still no luck.

What happens is when i turn on the computer and put in the XP pc is starts the setup process and formats the hard drive, then it installs the first part of the setup and restarts but goes back to the same setup that has just been completed.

Ive tried taking the disk out when it restarts but it "boot from CD" comes up and then nothing happens, i've made sure that the bios say that it should boot from hard disk first but it just doesnt?

Ive tried suggestions about pressing F6 during set up and installing the drivers which i think i did properly even though it said windows already has got drivers for it?

Ive also tried taking out that hard drive and replacing it with my dads one (IDE) that already has XP on there but that still odesnt work, what happens is that it starts up normally then just when it is about to go the the XP loading screen it just cuts out and restarts then a warning screen comes up saying windows didnt start up properly because there was a power failure?

Because of this i tried a different PSU (600W) but still the same thing.

This is my first build so i might be missing something obvious but thanks for your help

(sorry about it being quite long!)