Unexpected VS.NET 2003 install behaviour

iandmcneill

Hi,

First off - what a great resource this is..

Wonder if anyone can help with this problem I have when trying an unattended install of VS.NET 2003. The problem is that all the prereqs seem to work fine, but the main VS install fails. When the machine restarts I can manually run another CMD with just the vs setup.exe reg entries (088) and it installs fine. My guess is that one of the pre-reqs is not installing correctly without a restart?

I have the following commands in RunOnceEX.cmd - if anyone sees anything wrong please let me know - this is driving me nuts!

REG ADD %KEY%\083 /VE /D "Microsoft .NET Framework SP1" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\083 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Apps\NetFramework\netfxsp1.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\084 /VE /D "VS.NET 2003 - Setup Files" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\084 /V 1 /D "msiexec.exe /qn /i %systemdrive%\install\apps\vs71\wcu\bootstrap.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\085 /VE /D "VS.NET 2003 - Web Components" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\085 /V 1 /D "msiexec.exe /qn /i %systemdrive%\install\apps\vs71\wcu\weccom.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\086 /VE /D "VS.NET 2003 - MDAC 2.7" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\086 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\vs71\wcu\mdac27sp1\mdac_typ.exe /q:a /c:"dasetup.exe /Q /N"" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\087 /VE /D "VS.NET 2003 - J# Runtime" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\087 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\vs71\wcu\jsredist.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress /QB" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\088 /VE /D "VS.NET 2003 Enterprise Architect" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\088 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\vs71\setup\setup.exe /UnattendFile "c:\install\apps\vs71\setup\vs7.ini"" /f

why dont you just repack the entire package into a single installer?

do you have installshield?

there is a new net frame work u can download i just made it today.

w/ the latest patch and totally silent

Hi,

I have wise package stuio - however I was hoping to achieve the unattended install it using the individual installers - repackaging was a last resort as I find it to be a bit of a pain for very large apps. The .net framework is silent & patched.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

REG ADD %KEY%\088 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\vs71\setup\setup.exe /UnattendFile "c:\install\apps\vs71\setup\vs7.ini"" /f

REG ADD will see your command line as invalid and not add it to the registry, which I believe is causing your problems. When you use quotes for the /D value, you need a backslash preceeding the quote.

Here's your fixed line...

REG ADD %KEY%\088 /V 1 /D \"%systemdrive%\install\apps\vs71\setup\setup.exe /UnattendFile \"c:\install\apps\vs71\setup\vs7.ini\"" /f

Have fun :D

Tom