Unable to install Acrobat Reader 6.0 from CD

Whisper

Hello All!!

I've a trouble while try to install Acrobat Reader 6.0 from CD using [GuiRunOnce]

On the winnt.sif file I entered the following:

[GuiRunOnce]

Command0=%cdrom%\Install\start.cmd

Acrobat Reader installer is in:

WINXP:\$OEM$\$1\Install\Applications\AdobeReader6

and start.cmd sintax is the following:

CLS

@echo off

TITLE Windows XP SP1 - Application Unattended Installation

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Adobe Reader 6

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %CDROM%\install\Applications\AdobeReader6\AdbeRdr60_ita_full.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\""

After successfull WindowsXP installation i get the error that is not possible to find.

%cdrom%\Install\start.cmd

If I edit the start.cmd file and change d: instead of %CDROM% the command starts correctly and i get Acrobat Reader successfully installed.

Thanks for all of you that can take me out from this burden!!

Cheers mates!!

marco

* topic cleaned up

Hello Whisper,

Welcome to MSFN forums!

I see that you are using the [GUIrunOnce] method, which is the best to start off with. Now what happens, is that as far as your windows knows, there isn't any %cdrom% variable - it will exist only if you set it. Now, setting it is a long process, so let's go the easier way. Below is what what you need to do, if you have anymore questions, do post back here.

1. Ensure that OEMpreInstall is set to YES in winnt.sif

2. Change all instances of %CDROM% to %SYSTEMDRIVE%

Why is step2?

That's because whatever files you have kept in "$OEM$\$1\" will get copied to your C: drive if oempreinstall=yes.

And also, one thing to know is that the OEM folders on cd, do not actually mean ANYTHING at all to the windows setup - it is useful only because the preinstall=yes will copy files from within there to the corresponding folders on HDD.

What is %systemdrive% ?

It is a system variable, which refers to the partition where windows gets installed. We use that, to make the installs easier. For example, tomorrow if you chose to install windows to D:, even then your automatic setups should work, right? That's what its for.

Hoping this helps....

Please post back on how it goes! :thumbup:

Well, you already know this one:

/s /v/qn

(s for telling installshield to install in silent mode, v to pass values to MSIEXEC, qn/qb is the MSI switches)

InstallShield switches described

That -p is added by the FEAD optimizer it seems, to extract silently. So with that above combination of switches, you can keep the original downloaded package and install silently.

The downside?

A truckload of HD space is lost on nonsense! You will have 100 MB almost, of disk-space occupied with that switch. Instead, do our normal method of picking up the extracted files and making AIP of it (and install using much simpler /QB switch), and hardly 30 MB is lost.

@Whisper

Don't worry about the above - continue using your current switch, because it is easier.

Oh I see now.. Thanks for the info! :D I thought the -p is the same as the /p, that lets you specify the password. :lol: So the -p switch is for the Netopsystems FEAD..

Off topic: The compression Netopsystems FEAD is really good. I tried repackaging Adobe Reader by performing an admin install, and used WinRAR to compress the archive, but I can't beat the size of the original installer.

Off topic: The compression Netopsystems FEAD is really good.  I tried repackaging Adobe Reader by performing an admin install, and used WinRAR to compress the archive, but I can't beat the size of the original installer.

Yup.

Imagine how small it would be if we could Netop FEAD our AIP! :bonkers:

(10 MB *dreaming*)