WinPE, RIS, and WMI Queries Problem

Johnret

Scenario: I am PXE booting target workstations and selecting a Windows PE 2004 image to load the PE OS. I then run a VB script to do WMI queries to find the target machines Manufacturer, Model, Chassistype. I need these pieces of information to do an automated build on the target machine.

The VB script works great when I run it on one target machine, but if I try to run two taret machines at the same time the second machine always errors out at the first WMI query that it trys to run.

I have try the V script on every single target hardware platform I support and it works flawlessly on every one of them as long as I am only doing one machine at a time. As soon as I try a second machine the VBScript errors out. I have also ran the script without the WMI queries in it, and it runs flawless on as many machine as I want to run simultaneously.

I am suspecting something is going on with the WMI Queries.

Anyone got any suggestions

Thanks

I came across this exact same problem myselfy a couple of weeks ago. Michael Niehaus from Microsoft managed to help me out with this one.

The solution is to make sure that the account you are logging into RIS with has only READ access to the reminst share.

It would appear that read/write access allows the first machine to lock the WMI repository, so when the second pc tries to access the repository, it cant find it (lockerd by the first pc). When the account logged into RIS/Winpe with only has read access, the repository is available for both/multiple machines to read.

Also, if the accounts used to login to RIS has read/write access, this allows Windows PE to create temporary files on the remote install share, which can cause issues.

Doug

• 1 month later...