changing HK_Current_user for non-admin users

mops

Hello.

I have been reading those boards for a while and found it extreamly usefull. I decided to register since I'm struck on the following problem.

I have to change one of the keys in the HK_current_User registry hive.

Seems like an easy task, problem is that user has only user rights to the system, therefore he is not able to edit registry (no system permissions)

here is what i found so far:

-one way to do this is to add user to local administrators, change the setting and then remove him from local admins -> not feasible

-batch file inside login script -> doesnt work because login script uses user permissions

-startup script -> doesnt work because it's applied beofre the users logs on

The environment is an win2000 ad with about 300 client workstations running winxp-sp2 . The particular setting i'm after it not listed in group policy therefore I cant use GP to modyfi it ;(

I'm looking for a fix that could be applied in login script or group policy, or whatever that would not involve running to every PC and doing it manually.

Any suggestions ?

unless im mistaken, every user on a windows system has read/write access to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive by default, i change my registry settings all the time in this key at school, and im only a user there... have you tried actually changing the key in user mode?

also, are you sure its the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive you want and not the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive?, HKEY_CURRENT_USER only deals with the local user, and it is supplied with the profile, whereas the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key is specific to the machine and never leaves...

if it is the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive you want, then you will only have to change it once because it gets saved with the roaming profile on the server...