MapPoint 2004 / Streets & Trips 2004

BlueLabel

Noticed a few people looking for how to do a complete install of MapPoint or Streets & Trips in an unattended fashion.

1. Copy the contents of both CDs to the same directory, ignoring any duplicates.

2. (If you don't want to do this step, see below for an alternative) Use Orca (the Microsoft MSI Editor available at MSDN) to edit MapPoint\MSMap\data.msi. Find the table (the left column in Orca) called Media and change the volume label for the second table entry (DiskId 2 aka 'Run Disc') to whatever volume label you plan to use for your CD/DVD installation.

3. The setup command you want to use is:

setup.exe /qb INSTALLLEVEL=500

If you wanted to just install the runtimes, you use:

setup.exe /qb

or more completely:

setup.exe /qb INSTALLLEVEL=100

You don't need to worry about labeling your CD/DVD with any particular volume label as long as it's consistent with the label you set in the MSI above. Alternatively, you could set the volume label of the DVD to 'GEO11NA' instead of editing the MSI file directly. As long as all the files are under the same tree, setup will run just fine. The two install levels (100 and 500) denote whether to do a typical or a complete install.

Enjoy,

-BL.

This works great if you do your install over the network of from a folder on your local hard drive, but if you burn your setup files to DVD then it only gets halfway and bombs out, if you remove the /qb then you see that it is asking for the second cd in the middle of the install. I have yet to figure out how to force the **** thing to just install 100% becaues all the files are there and they work great from the hard drive. Seems as if it needs write support to the files.

Dennis

This works great if you do your install over the network of from a folder on your local hard drive, but if you burn your setup files to DVD then it only gets halfway and bombs out, if you remove the /qb then you see that it is asking for the second cd in the middle of the install. I have yet to figure out how to force the **** thing to just install 100% becaues all the files are there and they work great from the hard drive. Seems as if it needs write support to the files.

Dennis

I just edited my post above with a procedure that should do the trick for you.