Unattended Second AutoLogin

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a unattended setup for the organisation I work for. Everything is working nicely, and I'm just trying to tie all the seperate parts togeather so it's properly unattended!

Once the initial windows setup stage is complete it autologons as local administrator to run a local script which tidies a few bits and pieces up. Once this is done it reboots, and what I'd like it to do is to logon as a specified user on to our domain and then run a script which is network based to setup all the applications / hotfixes. At the moment, you have to login manually.

I've managed to get PC's to autologon with the username and password and correct domain using registry edits on a PC which is already setup and doing just a routine startup, but when I get the setup procedure to import these registry edits during the setup procedure, it seems to ignore it - specifically it seems to set the "AutoAdminLogon"="0" instead of keeping it at "1". I've tried it at various stages and it doesn't seem to help - I can only assume that when exiting from the autologon local administrator it's tweaking the settings.

To turn it on I add the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultDomainName"="domainhere"
"DefaultUserName"="usernamehere"
"DefaultPassword"="passwordhere"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"LegalNoticeCaption"=""
"LegalNoticeText"=""

LegalText is set to "" so there is no legal notices getting in the way .All these settings are restored at the end of the network based applications setup script.

Any ideas on how I can work around this?

We're using Windows 2000. (XP is on the horizon, but at least a good 6-12 months away!! :realmad: )

Thanks,

Philip :D

So that I'm clear, you're logging on as Admin, then, as a portion of your as-admin setup, you're calling a registry import that changes the autologon information to the next user that you want to logon as and process information.

You're saying your auto-logon registry import setting (a) don't get into the registry, or are (B) ignored.

What happens when you perform this manually? Can you isolate the problem to one with your script, or one TRULY with the machine ignoring your changes.

If you're just logging off, it won't re-auto-logon. You'll have to at least reboot. Logoff won't generate an auto-logon (off the top of my head, too lazy to look in VMWare at the moment.)