Distribution share

U CANT use words longer than 8 characters! Never forget, this is common mistake :)

But now I see where is your problem :) The setup dont stop on that screen - it is just paused for specific time (sometimes 10s, maximum I saw was like 400 minutes). This is because smartdrv switches.

Try to run smartdrv without switches and count, how long it will stop on this screen

OK.

I probably needed to be more patient! I will do as you suggested and see how long it takes, however, this doesn't resolve why the batch file is throwing up the error about the hard drive size being too small (or not existing), whereas running winnt straight doesn't have cause a problem.

Could it be a problem in the unattend.txt file?

I appreciate your continuing help on this.

I have been unable to test your idea, although I know that I have the MsdosInitiated setting as 1, not 0. This may have some impact on the installation sequence and cause the problem with disk space.

Is there anything else within the unattend.txt file that may impact on the installer having a problem with disk space on a freshly formatted hard drive?

I will check it out tomorrow when I get a chance!

It would be nice to get to the bottom of the problems.

Ok.

I have successfully ran the install from dos by running winnt directly. This has performed the installation of Windows as expected. I ran smartdrv.exe before.

However, whenever I run the batch file in order to invoke the installer with the correct switches and sif file, I get the error message about disk space. 'Windows XP requires a hard drive with at least 1911 megabytes free....'. The hard drive has one 30gig partition which is fine if I just launch winnt directly.

I have tried adding the /t:c as suggested.

my batch file is as follows....

@rem SetupMgrTag
@echo off

rem
rem This is a SAMPLE batch script generated by Setup Manager.
rem If this script is moved from the location where it was generated, it may have to be modified.
rem

set AnswerFile=z:\udos2.txt
set SetupFiles=z:\i386

z:\i386\winnt /s:%SetupFiles% /u:%AnswerFile% /t:c

(I have tried without the /t:c switch and with .\ instead of z:\)

and my sif file (udos2.txt)...

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=1
   MsDosInitiated=0
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"
   AutomaticUpdates=yes

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
filesystem=*

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=xx
   EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=85
   OemSkipWelcome=1
   AutoLogon=Yes
   AutoLogonCount=1

[UserData]
   ProductKey=xx
   FullName="xx"
   OrgName="xx"
   ComputerName=xx

[Display]
   Xresolution=1024
   YResolution=768

[RegionalSettings]
   SystemLocale=00000809
   UserLocale=00000809
   InputLocale=0809:00000809
   LanguageGroup=1

[Identification]
   JoinDomain=xx
   DomainAdmin=xx
   DomainAdminPassword=xx

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=No

[NetAdapters]
   Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]
   INFID=*

[NetClients]
   MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]
   MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

[NetProtocols]
   MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]
   DNS=No
   UseDomainNameDevolution=No
   EnableLMHosts=Yes
   AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]
   SpecificTo=Adapter1
   DHCP=Yes
   WINS=No
   NetBIOSOptions=0
   DNSServerSearchOrder=10.3.135.252

[Branding]
   BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]
   Proxy_Enable=0
   Use_Same_Proxy=0

[WindowsFirewall]
   Profiles=WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
   Mode=0

[components]
   msmsgs=off
   msnexplr=off
   freecell=off
   hearts=off
   minesweeper=off
   pinball=off
   solitaire=off
   spider=off
   zonegames=off

I have tried this with out the MsDosInitiated switch and with it set to 1, "1", 0, "0".

Can you spot anything wrong which would stop the installer working and cause the disk space problem? Would it be better if I forget the batch file and place the udos2.txt into the i386 folder instead (renaming it to winnt.sif)?

UPDATE: I have tried to copy the winnt.sif file into the i386 folder on the network, but when running winnt, the settings do not appear to be picked up automatically.

UPDATE 2: Any attempt to call a sif file from the command prompt results in this error. If I type winnt /s:z:\i386, it works. If I then add /u:z:\udos2.txt if produces the disk error. I have removed everything in the unattend file which may be causing problems to no avail. It just will not work with the unattend file. :angry:

Thanks for your time.

For those who may be able to help.

The problem is being caused by the option...

OemPreinstall=Yes

My $OEM$ folder is about 1.3gig but the drive it is being copied to is 30gig.

If I remove this option, it does not bring up this error and copies the correct files to the c drive.

It is requesting about 2288mb of space when it brings up the error.

I have checked my $OEM$ folder for long filenames.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Honestly, i haven't try with unattended network installation, and i'm not quite sure whether my suggestion will help...

Try to use z:\i386\winnt /s:%SetupFiles% /u:%AnswerFile% /t:c:\temp.

Have a try and let me know, if that help... will tryout unattended network instalation in my office in few days time.

I tried as kenkueh suggested to no avail.

So I guess the oempreinstall=yes works with winnt from your post Soulin.

I have no idea what could be causing the problem. :(

But it doesn't work. My continued thanks for your help.

Will try deleting everything in the $OEM$ folder to see if this helps. Is there a maximum size for this folder?

I cleared out my 'Install' folder in the $OEM$ folder and suddenly the installer worked. I am guessing there is a limit on size. This is a shame as it is the ability to use the $OEM$ to do all the installing that makes the unattended setup so useful.

I have to assume it is due to DOS as it works under Windows. I am using FreeDOS but I cannot imagine that should make a difference.

I had Office 2000 in the 'Install' folder. I was planning to add many more applications!

Does this make sense to anyone?! Is there a way around it that you are aware of?

I could still call install automations from the network in a different method but I like the $OEM$ and runonceex way of doing things.

My OEM is 50MB... Your problem will probably be because of dos limitation (OEM is transferred during text-mode setup)...

Usuall way is to include only necessary files (in my case there is only 4MB, rest is for different device drivers) and to hold rest of files somewhere else on server and install them by RunOnceEx or RunOnce