User Accounts Problem / Query

TheDufster

I have recently had a problem with my laptop which resulted in a clean install of Windows XP. So, I am currently rebuilding all of the settings and software on my laptop from scratch.

I used to have just one account on my old system (which was my name). As far as I know, this was the Administrator account. I used to click on my name at the beginning of windows when it was loading (it was the only one shown) and on my C:Drive there used to be a folder called C:\Documents & Settings\My Documents.

What I have now are TWO user accounts. One called Administrator and one with My Name (I was prompted for a name when installing windows xp - It wouldn't let me leave it blank).

I don't get a prompt when loading windows it just boots up as Administrator. Under C:\Documents & Settings there are two folders: the "Administrators Documents" and "MyName Documents".

This whole thing is very confusing for me. I just want one user again - not two. I tried deleting the MyName user before but it then caused a problem on the logon screen where I used to get an error message about not being able to log on, before pressing ok and then logging on as Admin. I couldn't get around this problem so I did another clean install. I don't want to have to do it again.

Can anyone help me here? Have I explained myself enough?

Cheers

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH MY SOLUTION. IT INVOLVES MODIFING REGISTRY. IF YOUR NOT FAMILIAR WITH THEM YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR WINDOWS INSTALLATION.

So ...

Click START>Run. Type: regedit

Browse the registry until you reach the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

In right panel you should see the following key: Administrator

Right click on it, select edit and change its value to 0.

Close the registry editor and restart your PC.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I have followed the above instructions, but there is no entry "Administrator"

Only:

HelpAssistant

IUSR_

IWAM_

NetShowServices

SQLAgentCmdExec

TsInternetUser

VUSR_

Any clues?

(note - i have followed similar instructions to these before, but I think that's when I ended up having the logon problem with not being able to logon.