Native Win9x for Recovery OS

satanhead2003

Hi guys... I'm new here. Just want to know, how can I make a Recovery CD, With Win9X on it? I mean, run win9X from CD and use DOS and regular HDD / SYSTEM diags on it?I've searched this forum, and only found out that they just interested in reducing /trim INSTALLED Win9x. I'm considering making BartPE, but it just too slow, and not all software were suppoted (errors encountered). I think INTERGRATING UBCD(172 mb) and Win9x (just like Knoppix-STD) will be enough for recovery. Any ideas? Right now, I'm working with Mindows. Just finished downloaded. Sorry for my bad english.

Yes, its quite possible.

What you basically need to do, is to remove all possibility of needing to have write-access to anywhere - only then it can run totally from CD. (The other option is to load it all into RAM, and that frightens me... 400 MB ramdisk+ 100 MB memory....... and we still haven't come to swap-space :SHUDDER: )

Now, how you do it is an open-ended question - there's many sites that have info about it, and you can yourself try somethings too.

Just remember that it is not such a good idea as far compatibility with software is required. Reasons:

1. Win9x just doesn't cut it anymore - many apps (incl. system diagnostic utils) want a better OS to run on. :P

2. A crippled win98 running from CD with no registry modification or system-file write access - **** HELL!

BartPE is your best bet - include the XPE plugin for an explorer interface. And then a lot of apps run fine on it. And with some thoughtful moments, you can even figure out a way to have what you find to be difficult right now.