Access to web sites

alexgray

Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6. In the past I had no difficulty in clicking on a web site shortcut and gaining access. Now, however, I am only able to do this with the shortcuts in my Favourites and any brought up by Google. If I receive a shortcut in an e-mail or one on a web page, I can no longer gain access. Why should this be?

Alternatively, if changing the settings of the pop-up blocker doesn't work, you could try going to Set Programs Access and Defaults.

You can find it on the Start Menu in most SP2 computers or in the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel. You then simply set the default Web browser to be IE again. But it's unlikely that the default browser has changed anyway :P

Or, could I possibly recommend you switch to Firefox, a far better and safer browser? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi tguy & Jamey

Sorry for being so long in replying, but I was away on holiday last week. I have SP2, but don't see any mention of Pop Up blocker, should it appear on the toolbar?

Checked Set Programs Access & Defaults and found that it had been set to Custom, I reverted it to Microsoft, but still upable to activate certain web pages.

Alex.

Further to my last message, I found the Sp2 Pop Up Blocker in the Tools Menu of Internet Explorer and it is turned off, so it is not responsible for the problem. I also find that Set Programs Access & Default has reverted to the Custom setting and is set at "Use my current Web Browser" with access enable to Internet Explorer, likewise "Use my current e-mail program" with access enable to Outlook Express.

Thanks for all the suggests, but I have discovered that the problem was being caused by McAfee Privacy Services - Browswer Helper Object - File GDIEHELP>DLL in my Third Party Browser Extensions and McAfee have advised me to use the CTRL button when clicking on such links as this apparently temporarily disables their Pop Up facility. When I said my Pop Up Blocker was switched off, I was referring to the inbuilt Microsoft one and completely forgot about the McAfee one being on.

Many thanks for all who gave advice.

Alex

Rutherglen, Scotland.