strange $Docs problem

I've always had a problem with copying over anything correctly with the $Docs folder. Let's say I make a folder for user "bob", as $OEM$\$Docs\bob\ . Everything will copy over, (ie, I have my stuff in c:\documents and settings\bob\*) but now the OS has created a whole new documents and settings folder for bob, c:\documents and settings\bob.COMPUTERNAME\ , so i have to manually re-copy stuff to that new directory. If, on my cd, I instead make $OEM$\$Docs\bob.COMPUTERNAME\ , then I end up with a user folder simply called "bob", as it should have been in the first place, but of course then my stuff is in yet another directory anyway. If I put both "bob\" and "bob\COMPUTERNAME" on the CD, then the user folder ends up with yet another name (I think bob.C.O.M.P.U.T.E.R.N.A.M.E , I'm not sure, I forget). So What's up with this? Has no one else had this problem?

I'm running SP2 slipstreamed, the user who's stuff I'm trying to copy is created as an administrator by a batch file called from cmdlines.txt, and also set to autologon.

Any Ideas?

try 'All Users' ;)

this will work - only because 'bob' folder is created for the 'bob' account and hence has special permissions - if one exist XP will create a new folder with the Computer name or domain name as a suffix to ensure that 'bob' is indeed the correct (and authenticated user) 'bob'..... I hope this makes sense?

Ha ha....

Yes, that is an irritant while pre-doing user files. One solution is as andrewpayne said. And to add to that, some folders (such as the quick-launch, etc.) are not taken from All Users profile. So you can instead use the Default user profile, for such files, for example:

$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

But another way would be to make a RAR SFX that silently extracts to %userprofile% folder. (is easier)