ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt

bamboozled

I know this topic has been discussed previously, and have read all I can find of them but I am still unable to resolve this issue. I dont know how to replace the file as I cant get past the startup window which states:-

(windows 2000 root)\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt please re-install a copy of the above file. I am running w2k and have the CD but am stuck from there. Is anyone able to revisit this problem to help.

The reason for ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt is usually caused by a bad shut down. I have had this same problem and the only way I found to fix it is let 2k load again and it will ask if you want to repair, click yes and follow directions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Win2k for replying but I have tried that and it wont allow me to get to the screen that allows that choice. instead it comes up with a variant that now says "ntoskrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Error code 4". I have tried this with both CD and Floppy and get the same result. Have you had any experience with this?. Has anybody else??????????? Please help, I haven't got much hair left on my head as a result!!!!!!!!

I had this problem when I used to re-boot my PC, I thought it was software but I removed a fireware card from my machine (I never used it..... :lol: ) and afterwards it rebooted with no problem, so I put it back in and got the same again........ so put it down to that. It has been permanantly removed and have no issue at all.

So have you added any new cards recently??? Dont know if that will help you or not, but that was my experience.

cheers......... :rolleyes:

mine installation is XP pro...... edit....

Take TomcaT's advice and remove averything (all add-ins cards) but video card and try again, if that does not work, then It will require a new install which is reformat, Then again you can do this if there is files you dont wont to loose, you will need a another drive, take the other drive and load the Os on it, should be set as master or cable select, now when all is good on the new drive, take the other drive and set it as slave or cable select and hook to the computer, turn on computer and go in to bios and set boot to the new drive and restart and when the os is loaded and in windows you can view the contents of the other drive, find what you want to keep and drag to new drive, after that you can reformat the bad drive.

You may already know this, but trying to help you.

Win2k...

Try replacing the ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe before a reformat. This issue should not be so bad that it would justify a reformat.

Copy ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe from the service pack files you have currently installed. (If you have win2000 sp4, grab the admin install of sp4, extract, and replace the two files on you system.)

Also, make sure to check your boot.ini and make sure it is standard. Your problem may very well be the result of a custom boot screen issue if you have one installed.

IMO, the best way (gui-wise) to check both the boot.ini and the two files would be to get a bartpe boot disk. Otherwise, boot into the Recovery Cons. from your install cd and use the copy cmd or start an sfc check.

Also, your issue may be caused by a virus (windows and system32 exe files are the first to get sick). If you are going to salvage either the OS, or your personal data from it, run a complete scan!