SQL on single or multiple PCs

jpatto

If i installed SQL on a server (WinServ 2003) and required my users to connect to a database that i have on SQL - would i need to install SQL on every machine in order for them to connect to the database? If no how would this be done? and finally how many copies of SQL can i use on different machines?

Thanks

I have just been working with SQL pretty heavily the last few weeks. You will need an SQL client access license for each workstation that will be connecting to that database and all that needs to be done on the workstation is a database for that connection for the application to use.

I am sure that there are others here with more SQL experience that can elaborate for you on this a little more.

• 4 weeks later...

jpatto is right, you will need an SQL CAL (client access license) for each machine connecting to the SQL server.

You can then create ODBC connections to the server to connect your application like Microsoft Access or something to the SQL database. If your users will need to actually create and run queries against the database, create views, create DTS packages, etc. they will need the SQL client install tools.

These can be installed by inserting the SQL Server CD-ROM in their CD-ROM drives and selecting 'Client Tools' as the installation option.

Hope this helps.