Bad RAM or MOBO?

kasandoro

So I go to install Windows 2000 Pro on my computer. The text mode setup reports that several files could not be copied to the hard drive, etc. But, on a reboot, different files couldn't be copied. I have tried numerous copies of Windows 2000 Pro, all have the same problem. I tried using a different CD-ROM, and even a DVD-ROM, still the same problem. I created an ISO of the Win2kPro CD, and loaded it in VMWare, and it runs fine all the way into the GUI-setup for Windows. I have just changed the motherboard out, and am still having the same problem.

What the HELL is going on? I'm honestly at a loss for what to do next. The only thing I haven't changed is the Memory (256MB PC133 Micron). By the way, the system specs are:

SOYO K7VEM-PRO Motherboard

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz

256 MB Micron (Dell) Memory (PC-133)

Western Digital WD120BB (120GB) hard drive

Two Maxtor 200GB drives in Mirrored RAID (using SiI 0680 Card)

Iomega REV 32GB SCSI drive (currently unplugged for troubleshooting)

LSI U80LVD SCSI Card (for the REV drive, currently removed for troubleshooting)

I'm not trying to install on the RAID, but on the primary HDD (120GB).

Anyone have ANY ideas? I'm at a loss here...only thing I haven't changed is the case. ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated

The only common denominator is that all the parts I've changed out are all used. I will consider new ones after I've exhausted all other options.

I just tried installing WinXP Pro. Both CD's cause the computer to restart (not blue-screen, just like pressing the reset button) after all the drivers are loaded, and at the bottom of the screen it says "Loading Windows 2000" or something to that effect. I'm beginning to think it's the RAM.