Can't get FTP to work

I'm running a 2003 server. i configured ftp and opened the ports on my router/firewall. when i bring up the ip/dns name from the internet, it will prompt for username and password. so i know that the browser is making contact with the server. i put in my credentials and hit login, but it won't log me in.

i have tried right clicking on the ftp site, going to permissions, and made sure that my account has permissions. then i right clicked on the ftp site, went to properties. the ip address is set to "all unassigned". tcp port is 21. on security accounts i unchecked "allow anonymous connections". directory security is set to "grant access".

i have two accounts setup to use this. i've tried the administrator and the account i setup especially for this. neither will work. it just continually prompts for username and password.

this is accessible from the local network if i type in ip address of server, but i need to access from the outside internet.

can anyone help me? i'm lost and i really need to get this working.

edit: i feel kind of mad and kind of embarrassed. turns out that opening port 21 tcp only on the router didn't work! i hate linksys routers. for some reason i had to do port 20 and 21 tcp and udp. i don't think it has to be setup like that. anyways this thing works finally.... :realmad::blushing:

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure that your Administrator account and special FTP account also have file system permissions to the FTP directory on the server or disk where the directory is located.

You can check the permissions through Explorer or with the CACLS utility.

tguy