Windows Server, XP and VS .Net setup

jpatto

If i was to have two computers, one with Windows xp Pro and other with Windows server 2003, i could use the windows server to have all my files.

Could i install programs that i hardly use on the server and run them through XP? How could i set up Visual Studio .Net with MSDN on the server and use it on XP? or how would you recommend doing this and finally could i set up a user account credentials on the server and assign them to a user on XP if so how could i do this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I think there are two possible solutions to your question in regard to the installation of programs. Like silkshadow said, you could install the programs from the XP machine to a network share on the server. This would run slower but if you use a 100Mbps network (as opposed to wireless) and don't use the particular program too often could be acceptable, dependent of the kind of program. The other solution would be to simply install the program on the server and use it on the XP machine through remote desktop. In my opinion the last one would be preferable. Just don't use it for games!

As for the user account credentials: you are going to have to set up a domain. Using the wizard and a little reading (or posting questions here), this shouldn't be too hard, even for a layman. After you set up the domain, added the XP machine and the user account you could use this account to log on to the domain on both the server and the client using the same credentials.

In regard to your question about Visual Studio, I don't know much about that, but if you mean you want be able to program on the server while sitting in front of your XP client, you could just use remote desktop.

My aim was to have Visual Studio .Net installed on my laptop and help files (MSDN) on the server. However now that i thought about it i dont think that would be a good option incase i disconnect my laptop from the server then it would mean i cant use the help files if i needed them.

If i was to install a program such as Nero on my server, would this mean i have to use the server machine to burn disks? or could i use another PC to burn disks? or could i setup Nero on the Server and change the registry to use another burner on the network? Hope that makes sense.

My aim is to save space on my laptop (for now anyway)

Thanks

I see. Well, I've NEVER heard of anything like that - burning through another computer. I'm not saying it's not possible though, maybe if someone else knows... :blink:

I don't think installing Nero on your laptop will take up a lot of space, certainly not if you do not install all possible options like designing covers, Nero mediaplayer and similar crap. But if you still really want to save space I would suggest installing Nero on the server and then accessing it through remote desktop. Although you would still have to walk to the server to put in the disc, so on the other hand you might as well just sit in front of the server. Your choice.