DVD Playback is displayed corrupted

tarquel

Hi all

Here is a weird one, and one I hope is very simple to fix...

Built a new system - XP SP2 - and usual drivers to go along with it i.e. VIA 4-in-1 driver (think its the latest - not at home so cant check), ATI Catalyst 4.8 (I know, there's 4.9 out now lol) and so on. Just to repeat, a clean install was made (HD completely blank)

The DVD/CD-RW combo drive I took out of the old machine and played DVD's fine so it came as quite a surprise to find that when I played a DVD back on this lovely fast new machine, the DVD playback was all garbage. Hard to describe but basically, its like watching the film in 8 colours with the screen cracked or run through a kaliderscope hehe

This was in PowerDVD so tried the DVD in Media Player & RealPlayer and exactly the same thing happened!!

The graphics card is a new Sapphire 9600 Atlantis 128MB AGP x8 card picked up for 50 pounds which was good enough for this machine (compared to the old machine running a ATI Radeon VE/7000 32MB dual display card).

For reference:

Motherboard is a MSI KT6 Delta FISR (with BIOS updated with the latest rev)

HD is a Hitachi 7K250 80GB SATA (nice 'n' fast - pretty quiet too)

Case is a Antec Performance II SX630 - Black - with the Antec 350W PSU included.

RAM is the Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 333Mhz DDR x 1 (KVR333X64C25/512)

CPU is a AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333FSB processor (boxed version w/HSF)

Any ideas?

I'm thinking about trying to uninstall the driver (again) and install the new latest one :)

--

I say 'again' as I installed the 4.8 package with ATI's Control Center in it, stupidly without having the DotNet Framework installed as required *doh*

Of course, a few errors appeared so I promptly uninstalled the driver package (in fact, all ATI software).

Then installed the 4.8 package without the control center.

No problems now (except for this DVD problem).

I'm thinking that if I uninstall the current driver - install the dotnetframework package and service pack and then install the new 4.9 driver with control center, that might work.......right?

--

Can anyone suggest anything before I try this (in a few hours hehe)?