new here, just got 1 question

Bellucci

my problem is located in this guide here:

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/applications/installshield.htm

my problem is step number 4... it says:

"4. Start the Silent installation using:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Application\Application_name\Setup.exe -s"

this makes absolutely no sense... there is absolutely no elaboration... the author assumes i know what he's talking about... he could atleast told me where to input the above line or something... im at step 4 and clueless about what to do next... i have completed steps 1 through 3 though.... any help is ENORMOUSLY appreciated.... this is my first time doing this and im not very computer savvy, so thanks

oh, this is for my chipset update drivers, after i complete the 4th step, do i send everything into this directory (with the setup.iss file) into this directory for burning as an iso?

X:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\000_intel_INF

? because there would be a subdirectory in the above folder

ok, further reading and heavily analyzing the guide that assumes im suppost to know so much, i think i've come to realize that i will need to specifuly a place for a log file to be created or the installation will fail because it would try to write it to a cd.... if someone can tell me where this:

"REG ADD %KEY%\045 /VE /D "Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\apps\KPF\Setup.exe -s -f2\"%systemdrive%\kerio.log\"" /f"

is supposed to go, i would be greatful

You should definetly have a look at the third step of the unattended.msfn.org guide (here). It goes through the basics of windows batch commands. While the majority of your questions don't pertain to the drivers forum specifically, I have taken the time to go over the command you said you were confused about below.

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Application\Application_name\Setup.exe -s"
Basically this is a basic windows script command. This is like running something from the command prompt. So lets break down what is going on here.

start /wait : start the following program and wait for it to finish before continuing.

%systemdrive%\ : this is a variable that is generic across installations. For 99+% of people this will resolve to C:\, but some people like to install to other drives like O:\ for OS or X:\ for XP. All this is doing is grabbing a windows variable to find out what drive XP is installed on. If your main drive (where your OS is installed) is drive C:\ you can safely use C:\ but it won't be as generic or portable as %systemdrive%. There is actually a whole collection of variables to use. You should look around the Unattended windows general forum. If you are using 'OemPreinstall=Yes' like the majority of people here, your installation files will actually get copied from the CD to your systemdrive during installation. Some choose to run the applications directly from the CD but this requires a bit more effort.

install\Application\Application_name\ : this is just a path. A good example would be if I had an application I wanted to run called Trainees_Bingo. I would have 'Program Files\Trainee\Trainees_Bingo\. The example given here just has a directory named 'install' with a sub-directory named 'Application' with its own sub-directory named 'Application_name'. Change these names to suit your needs.

Setup.exe -s : the application to run, with the argument -s which *should* tell an installshield installation to install using the setup.iss file your provided.

--------

FIRST instead of making 3 posts within 15minutes of each other, please EDIT your previous post with the new information. SECOND, questions about 'Kerio Personal Firewall' belong in the General Unattended Windows forum, this is *your* thread, but its not your personal question asking playground. THIRD, I think you may be going the wrong direction for installing your Intel Motherboard drivers. Have you tried using an OemPnpDriversPath entry in your winnt.sif file to install the drivers? Or is there some install issue that is making you want to do it this way?