what's the difference between rtm and rtw update?

Providence

SP2(Simplified Chinese) RTM is 292M,while SP2(Simplified Chinese) RTW is only 75M

in the MS website it is said that SP2(Simplified Chinese) RTM is for IT Professional,and RTW is for single user;but both of version is the same,then what's the difference?i confused.....

is there anything that RTW does not contain?if yes,what?

BTW:Does the English Version have the same problem?

thx~~~

I wouldn't go so far as to call this a problem. Its the same story with all language versions.

95-110 MB download size is the stats for XP home/pro, only for automatic updates (what you called RTW, its not actually that though).

The full (network/admin, also called RTM) install will need to be able to apply itself to a retail XP CD. Moreover, the same SP2 package will be used to update MCE/TabletPC too. So it will have to contain files which aren't for your machine alone.

I think your confused about RTM/RTW and automatic updates.

RTM and RTW just specify the times that things are available. RTM is release to manufacture and RTW is release to web. Eg. RTM is available before RTW.

The 2 files you see are the full administrative install of SP2 and the automatic update install of SP2. The automatic update version contains the bare minimum and you need to be connected to the internet so the SP2 update can download the files you need.

The administrative install on the other hand allows you to update an XPCD and a Windows XP computer that isn't connected to the internet.

I hope that clears things up for you.

The automatic update version contains the bare minimum and you need to be connected to the internet so the SP2 update can download the files you need.

i also have considered this possiblity;but almost everyone who updates from automatic update gets the same size update package,why?also their systems cannot be the same

if just like you said--the bare minimum needed,the package cannot be the same

This is how the automatic update version works.

1. User downloads the base package which is the same for all computers (75mb).

2. That base package runs, scans the system for installed updates and then downloads the updates that aren't installed.

3. It then installs all those updates plus the SP2 specific parts onto the users machine.

The full (network/admin, also called RTM) install will need to be able to apply itself to a retail XP CD. Moreover, the same SP2 package will be used to update MCE/TabletPC too. So it will have to contain files which aren't for your machine alone.

assume you are right

if i integrate rtm to origin xp retail,the additional files those retail doesn't needed will be contained in the integrated setup files?if i use the 'rtw',what's the result?

also @microsoft website it says the 292m rtm is for IT professional,it contains some debug and develop tools,and now how about the 'rtw' version?i have totally confused

T___T

sorry for my poor english.

This is how the automatic update version works.

1. User downloads the base package which is the same for all computers (75mb).

2. That base package runs, scans the system for installed updates and then downloads the updates that aren't installed.

3. It then installs all those updates plus the SP2 specific parts onto the users machine.

nod,but these is any offical explanation?

it also mean i can integrate the 'rtw' to origin xp?

go to try this~~~~

I think you still don't understand.

RTM: Just means the date/time that the update was released to manufacture (eg. when it was finalised).

RTW: Just means the date/time that the update was released to the web (eg. when you are able to download the update (NOT neccessary the automatic update version only)).

SP2 (75mb): Automatic Update version of SP2 with just a base install which connects to the web and downloads the rest itself (eg. You NEED an internet connection to install this update).

SP2 (266mb): Administrative version of SP2 that you can use to update a WIndows XP installation offline (eg. You can install this update ANYWHERE).

What exactally do you want to know?

I think you still don't understand.

RTM: Just means the date/time that the update was released to manufacture (eg. when it was finalised).

RTW: Just means the date/time that the update was released to the web (eg. when you are able to download the update (NOT neccessary the automatic update version only)).

SP2 (75mb): Automatic Update version of SP2 with just a base install which connects to the web and downloads the rest itself (eg. You NEED an internet connection to install this update).

SP2 (266mb): Administrative version of SP2 that you can use to update a WIndows XP installation offline (eg. You can install this update ANYWHERE).

What exactally do you want to know?

you mean that the 'rtw' just like the sp1 express(networking installaion),i think

but why the 'rtw' so big?i remember that sp1 express is very small

OK, you got a small mis-understanding of RTW the term.

Well, RTW=Release to Web.

That happened some time back, basically the RTM version was RTW'ed. Does that clear it up? That's what raverod was trying to tell, as well.

What you are calling rtw is the automatic update download.