Windows 2000 POST-SP4 unattended install?

FSB-SPY

Alright -- my problem is that I just can't seem to do an unattended install in Windows 2000 SP4 (with all of the current post-SP4 hotfixes in $OEM$) using nLite. It freezes right after it prompts me to select the Regional Settings (even though I specifically selected an unattended install -- I am guessing this is due to nLite being mainly developed for Windows XP; not 2000.).

So my question is, after I manually integrate/slipstream SP4 into my Windows 2000 CD, what are the steps to automatically (and with unattended settings too, please) install the post-SP4 fixes right into the machine? In essence I would like what everyone else wants probably, a slipstreamed 'SP5' on their computer as soon as they install off the CD.

I searched around and I came upon as 'cmdlines.txt' being my answer to installing the hotfixes. When I downloaded all of them (they came from a pack), the ZIP came with two batch files. Those batch files had all of the switches, etc in them. So here is what my cmdlines file looked like:

[COMMANDS]
".\update.bat"
".\update2.bat"

All of those files (hotfixes and the batch files) are in the $OEM$ directory... any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS: Here's a snippet of what the 'code' looks like in one of the batch files:

NDP10_SP_Q321884_En.exe /Q:A /R:N
Q272736.EXE /Q:A /R:N
Q299553.EXE /Q:A /R:N
Q313450SP3.exe /Q:A /R:N
Q317244.exe /Q:A /R:N
Q823718_MDAC_SecurityPatch.exe /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q
Windows-KB833330-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
Windows-KB833407-x86-enu.exe /quiet /norestart
Windows-KB841720-ENU-V2.exe /Q:A /R:N /S
Windows2000-KB823182-x86-ENU.exe /q /z

Yeah, the second link; pubforum one. But I gave XPCREATE a shot as suggested by DigeratiPrime and I must say it was nice. However, I did not find a way to get an unattended setup going? Do I simply open up the 'Unattend.txt' and edit my Name and Regional Settings in there and it won't prompt me for them?

I also added my video and motherboard (nForce) drivers into my $OEM$\$1\DRIVERS as instructed in the 'How-To' of XPCREATE. Unfortunately, and I have yet to determine if this was the cause of it all, I kept getting "A Required Resource Cannot Be Located" error during the installation of the hotfixes (this was during the "Registering Components" phase). It let me into Windows, but I could not type in any form in Explorer, and would give me a few more errors about a "Bad Image" in Services. Services, by the way, took up a nice 99% of my CPU under processes.

:/

Any ideas?

Alright -- my problem is that I just can't seem to do an unattended install in Windows 2000 SP4 (with all of the current post-SP4 hotfixes in $OEM$) using nLite. It freezes right after it prompts me to select the Regional Settings (even though I specifically selected an unattended install -- I am guessing this is due to nLite being mainly developed for Windows XP; not 2000.).

So my question is, after I manually integrate/slipstream SP4 into my Windows 2000 CD, what are the steps to automatically (and with unattended settings too, please) install the post-SP4 fixes right into the machine? In essence I would like what everyone else wants probably, a slipstreamed 'SP5' on their computer as soon as they install off the CD.

I searched around and I came upon as 'cmdlines.txt' being my answer to installing the hotfixes. When I downloaded all of them (they came from a pack), the ZIP came with two batch files. Those batch files had all of the switches, etc in them. So here is what my cmdlines file looked like:

[COMMANDS]
".\update.bat"
".\update2.bat"

All of those files (hotfixes and the batch files) are in the $OEM$ directory... any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS: Here's a snippet of what the 'code' looks like in one of the batch files:

NDP10_SP_Q321884_En.exe /Q:A /R:N
Q272736.EXE /Q:A /R:N
Q299553.EXE /Q:A /R:N
Q313450SP3.exe /Q:A /R:N
Q317244.exe /Q:A /R:N
Q823718_MDAC_SecurityPatch.exe /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q
Windows-KB833330-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
Windows-KB833407-x86-enu.exe /quiet /norestart
Windows-KB841720-ENU-V2.exe /Q:A /R:N /S
Windows2000-KB823182-x86-ENU.exe /q /z

Hi!

You have to try this one:

1. Download Win2000 Deployment Tools from MS Web Pages. There is file deploy.cab in this directory. Some informaton will be in the unattend.doc file.

2.Copy all the lines from update.bat file and paste it to cmdlines.txt and when you will reboot system then ship update2.bat manually.

Win2000 with IE6SP1 needs a restart after installing IE6SP1 hotfixes.

However, I did not find a way to get an unattended setup going? Do I simply open up the 'Unattend.txt' and edit my Name and Regional Settings in there and it won't prompt me for them?

Maybe it'll be antidotum of you problem.

Below I wrote some line in suitable section of unattend.txt file

[GuiUnattended]

OEMSkipRegional=1

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=2

SystemLocale=00000415

UserLocale=00000415

InputLocale=0415:00000415

I'm from Poland, so this is CE Regional Settings. :)

In a file deploy.cab is setupmgr.exe file. With this file you can prepare the instalation after filling all the necessary records in Preinstalation GUI Setup.

I can email to you the directory what you should have. :) (800KB or something like that).

• 2 weeks later...

half asleep here, so sorry if something needs clarifying, sorry, it's only to give a general reminder about how we used to do it (it works the same way, just do it the old-school, "classic" way from NT 4 days, you just need a "fixed" sfc.dll file from my site here.

You can use xpcreate of course but I just did this manually to see if the NT4 method works.

BTW I made a win2k cd that has sp4 and all post sp4 hotfixes so I know this works. I can send the INF files in question to you if you are fuzzy on the details.

Copy the CD to your HD. We're going to be working in the i386 directory.

Download every single hotfix.

Expand them all into their own folders.

Create a new folder called, say, POSTSP4 or something.

Copy the new files into it, but only the new files that exist in Win2k. In other words, if a hotfix has 5 files in it but only one of them is the fixed file, move only that file, not all 5.

Once your folder is full you will need to grab the registry entries from the fixes and add them to, say, one of the HIV*.* files.

Rename all of the hotfixed files as appropriate.

If NTOSKRNL.EXE ends in an "E" in the i386 directory, drag and drop it and replace the one already in the distribution share directory.

If a file ends in an underscore, rename the hotfix to end in one also, drag and drop and replace the original. No, you don't HAVE to recompress it in order to do so, Windows just thinks it's 0% compressed.

Some files will not appear to be in i386. That means they're in sp4.cab or driver.cab which is the case for the HAL files. Which are of course technically drivers, but putting these files in a CAB is kinda dumb IMO, but who knows, MS wanted it that way, BTW, if you use driver integration in nLite this is even easier...

So anyway you make adjustments to the installing INF files (again I can email them, I have the CD in my drive right now) to redirect windows to look on the CD and NOT in the CAB files, and now you can add those files that don't appear to be in sp4.cab or driver.cab, etc.

Once every file is moved over and renamed appropriately and you've added the new registry entries from every hotfix (I have that too if you wanted to do it this way) you make a boot CD and viola you have Win2kSp4PreSP5.

Like I said I'm tired. If you want my INF files for guidance just ask, but you'll have to download the hotfixes and uncompress them all, etc. Shouldnt be too hard...

To make my install go faster I uncompressed sp4.cab and driver.cab and put those into i386 also and directed TXTSETUP.INF et all to look into the root and not the CABs so the files were only uncompressed once instead of pulled out of cabs, etc. i did gain some speed increase during install, but it made my i386 folder HUGE. driver integration would solve this somewhat, and this is an independant step from integration pre-sp5 hotfixes that I note above.

Sorry if you're left going "I already know all that, what are the INF edits?!?" :)