FileSystem=ConvertNTFS prblems

I am using sysprep 1.1 for 2K images and sysprep 2.0 for XP images. My problem is I cannot get FileSystem=ConvertNTFS to work.

No matter what I try this line never converts to NTFS. I instead have to use this line to make this happen after first login.

[GuiRunOnce]

Command1="cmd /c convert.exe c: /fs:ntfs /v"

Anyone seen this problem?

Dennis

Here is a copy of my sysprep.inf for XP

---------------------------------------------

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

FileSystem=ConvertNTFS

OemPreinstall = Yes

ConfirmHardware = No

OverwriteOemFilesOnupgrade = No

OemSkipEula = Yes

TargetPath = WINDOWS

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath = i386;Drivers\Sysprep\intelinf-xp;Drivers\Sysprep\video;Drivers\Sysprep\sound;Drivers\Sysprep\network;Drivers\Sysprep\other

InstallFilesPath = C:\Sysprep\i386

CrushDumpSetting = 1

KeepPageFile = 0

ExtendOemPartition = 1

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword = NO

AutoLogon = Yes

AutoLogonCount = 3

OEMSkipRegional = 1

OEMSkipWelcome = 1

OEMDuplicatorstring = "ADP Internal WSS Image 1.0.0 09-02-2004"

TimeZone = 4

[userData]

FullName = "Workstation Support"

OrgName = "Automatic Data Processing"

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 24

Xresolution = 1024

YResolution = 768

[TapiLocation]

AreaCode = 909

[setupMgr]

DistFolder = C:\sysprep\i386

DistShare = whistlerdist

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup = WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents = Yes

[GuiRunOnce]

[sysprep]

BuildMassStorageSection=Yes

This is from the manual of the deploy tools :

Syntax

FileSystem = ConvertNTFS LeaveAlone

Values

ConvertNTFS  Converts the primary partition to NTFS.

LeaveAlone    Does not change the primary partition file system.

Example

FileSystem = ConvertNTFS

Comments

This entry is provided for backward compatibility with the Windows 2000 unattended Setup.

For the Windows XP and Windows .NET Server families of operating systems, if your manufacturing processes require that you format the hard disk as FAT32, use the Oformat tool to create a FAT32 volume with clusters aligned in an optimal way for later conversion to the NTFS file system. Then use the Convert command-line tool to convert the file system to NTFS.

You can also convert the partition during text-mode Setup by setting the FileSystem entry equal to ConvertNTFS. However, the hard drive performs better if you use the Convert command-line tool instead of the FileSystem entry.

Note

If you plan to use ExtendOemPartition during Setup, the file system must be NTFS.

FileSystem is not a valid entry in Sysprep.inf.

So the use of this entry is limited tot unattended.txt

Nielson,

I am little confused. I do now understand that FileSystem = ConvertNTFS is not valid for sysprep and only works in unattended.txt but not sure how I would incorporate the oformat tool and the convert command line tool into what I am doing?

Or am I already doing this? By the command line convert tool do they mean the entry I am already using here:

[GuiRunOnce]

Also when I made the original image I formatted fat32 using the XP CD. Is that the oformat tool?

The main reason for all this mess is we want our ghost sysprep images fat32 so we can insert and update drivers and replace HAL files etc. Then convert to NTFS after we deploy.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Nielson,

I have been trying for the past few days to find a way to automate the process outlined at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpr...preinstall.mspx

So far I have not been successful. I cannot even get the floppy I created to load as an .img image using memdisk. I want to add this oformat & cvtara to my ultimatebootcd but so far cannot do that either.

Do you know of anyway this process can be automated?

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

Try one convert method or another, in other words if you use FileSystem=ConvertNTFS then don't try and run it from the [GuiRunOnce] section or vice-versa.

Chances are the conversion was already done by FileSystem=ConvertNTFS so the command line script would not run anyway.