help with Silent Installation of Registry Tweaks

sry wrong area, moved to unattended windows

i want to insert some Registry Tweaks to my xp cd

first i put all my regtweaks into a notepad and saved it as RegTweaks.reg.

this is what i wrote exactly inside:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Max your Internet Explorer's simultaneous downloads to 10 (default was 2)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000000a

"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:0000000a

;NoLowDiskSpaceChecks won't check if you are low on diskspace and pop up a balloon telling you.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001

etc.,

after doing this the guide told me to copy & paste these lines to one of your batch files:

ECHO.

ECHO Applying Registry Tweaks...

REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\RegTweaks.reg

(this is what i dont know how to do)

second i made another notepad, named it cmdlines.txt, then put the following inside:

[COMMANDS]

"REGEDIT /S regtweaks.reg"

that is all i wrote inside.

i wanted the tweaks to apply to all user accounts so thats why i made the cmdlines.txt file. then i put the RegTweaks.reg and the cmdlines.txt files in the same folder: C:\XPCD\$OEM$\, is this the correct destination? or should it be C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\?

i dont know what to do after this,this is what i dont understand, how do i create a batch file? where do i put the batch file? and how do i make it work with RunOnceEx.cmd? i prefer not to make a winnt.sif file, but if its required then ill make 1

sry, im rookie at this, ill appreciate it if someone could show me what to do

You're on the right path. All the best!

BTW, using [code ] tags when posting code such as the ones above will make your posts far easier to read.

Now, to clarify your queries:

1. Yes, you made "regtweaks.reg" correctly, and placing it in "C:\XPCD\$OEM$\" is correct too.

2. The "cmdlines.txt" is placed correctly in "C:\XPCD\$OEM$\" as well.

3. Since you have already got what you want (with the above 2 steps), there's no need for the batch-file now.

4. The commands in "cmdlines.txt" will be carried out with no problem even if you did not make a winnt.sif, so its ok - make winnt.sif only if you want to.

While we try to be as helpful as possible, the fact still remains that reading and re-reading the guide is the best option. Since it is all explained clearly there.

And just a tip: If you have a doubt, just read the correct section of the guide again and do what it says. When you actually do it, that is when all the concepts become clear. So before asking "will such-and-such a setup work for me?", just put it in action - and if it is still not clear, we will take you through it.

To prevent wasting CDs, use VMware to test out your unattended setups. A trial version can be downloaded - http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html.

Hoping this helps....

Do post back on how your unattended install works, and problems if any.

• 3 weeks later...