Removal of 'More Themes Online' in Display Props

Within Display Properties and then in Themes, one of the options in the Theme list is 'More Themes Online...'.

I want to remove this option as I do not want to encourage my users to mess about with their themes (as any opportunity they can get they will do this!).

I have removed the other themes in the list to just leave Windows Classic, but want to get rid of 'More themes online...' also.

Is there a reg hack or otherwise to do this?

Cheers

Phil

The only way I'd think it possible is to reduce your windows install-source using nLite (remove theme support and Luna theme) - that way, the tab itself disappears forever. Otherwise, there's a group policy restriction somewhere to dis-allow showing that "Themes" tab, but its more complicated :S. I doubt that there's any way to leave that tab alone, but only remove the "online" option from the drop-down box.

Do post back on how it goes. :)

Hi,

the registry tweak to hide the Themes tab can be found here.

If you want to restrict the users to change the visual style, color or size, you can look here.

Edit1: You might want to check out the registry key of the second setting. It contains settings to hide tabs from the Display Properties, or to disable access to the Display Properties completely (it even has settings to disable access to the registry and task manager).

Edit2: I know I'm a bit late with this, but I found the registry key which tells Windows what name and URL to use for the online themes. here it is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\DownloadSites\100]
"DisplayName"="@themeui.dll,-2015"
"URL"="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=488"

Just remove the DownloadSites key or the 100 key, or you can even change the name and URL to anything you want :)

Edited by Tsunami