create a windows millenium boot cd?

carbonslinger

hi all -

i was wondering what the steps i need to undertake for integrating any additional component/hardware drivers in order to create an unattended Millennium Edition CD.

i have a legit copy of the genuine article, and have gone thru the guesswork of replacing certain text in a couple of the .inf files, as well as added an MSBATCH.inf to the main folder... the 'autorun' now directs to the 'setup.exe' in the main folder & i have additionally copied the MSBATCH into the 'autorun' folder of the cd, as well as the 'win9x' folder (although i'm uncertain if this is necessary).

i'm contemplating whether or not the boot.bin or the boot.img file (a copy of both from a windows xp pro + sp2 slipstream from an earlier project) will work or are even needed for this project, or if i might be better off stripping the info from a windows 98se boot floppy.

what i'd like to do is have the drivers for all of my CD-/DVD-ROMs & RW's preinstalled, as well as maybe the keyboard & mouse, video card & sound card drivers... i have a promise TX100 card that i run my HD's from & have never had any need to install ANY drivers for it, but this is an entirely different animal from xp pro (lol).

all of this hoopla is in order to have EVERYTHING on a single CD that i can just run & not have to worry about the install floppy that i managed to lose. the reason for the reversion is that my online gaming goes thru a LOT of latency issues, via xp pro - i'm on a 3Mb cable connection & most times i show up on any given game server as a 56K connection :}

anyhow, i hope that this jumble makes sense to somebody out there.

hope to hear anything soon :)

Yup! what you want is quite simple to do. Nothing special is required.

Pick-up a Win98 CD, and install the win98 resource-kit. There, you get an INF changer of some sort ('tis been a long time since I did it), which you can use to point the location of extra driver folders to search on CD during setup (in addition to the existing drivers) hardware detection.

That tool is wizard-based - it will lead you step-by-step through the process, and has help too.