XP Sysprep 2.0 + Driver problems

Jawrakae

Good morning esteemed colleagues,

I am sure that the answer to my problem is a relatively simple one. It must be, because I've already exhausted what I think are the hardest solutions. I am trying to build a single image for IBM Laptops T23 series and up.

I've built the image based on a T23 laptop, added all of my drivers, syspreped it out, imaged it, and brought it down on a T41 series laptop for testing.

The image comes down beautifully, however, when it goes through mini-setup it does not load the drivers that I have specified in the Sysprep.inf file.

I have tried:

oempnpdriverspath=c:\drivers

oempnpdriverspath=drivers

oempnpdriverspath=drivers\audio;drivers\nic;drivers\video;etc...

oempnpdriverspath="drivers\audio;drivers\nic;drivers\video;etc..."

The sysprep commands I have used are:

Sysprep -reseal -activated -mini

(Using this option prompts me for the driver locations for the newly detected hardware at first log in. I point it to the exact same directories that I told sysprep to look in the inf file and the drivers install perfectly.)

Sysprep -reseal -activated -mini -pnp

(Using this option does not prompt me for the drivers at first log in and pretty much makes me manually install the drivers for each device not configured in the device manager. This sucks)

Here is also a copy of my sysprep.inf file:

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes

OemPnPDriverPath=Drivers\Audio\T23;Drivers\Audio\TX\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP;Drivers\Audio\TX\SMAXWDM\SE;Drivers\NIC\3com\landisk2;Drivers\NIC\Cisco\PCI-PCM\XP;Drivers\NIC\Intel;Drivers\NIC\Intel2\PRO100\WINXP32;Drivers\NIC\Intel2\PRO1000\WINXP32;Drivers\NIC\T40\PRO100\WS03XP32;Drivers\NIC\T40\PRO1000\WS03XP32;Drivers\Video\T23;Drivers\Video\TX\DRIVER\XP_INF;Drivers\Wifi\IBM\WINXP;Drivers\Wifi\Intel\PROW2200\WINXP;Drivers\Wifi\Intel2\PROW2100\WINXP;Drivers\Monitor;Drivers\Wifi\Cisco\PCI-PCM\XP

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

ExtendOemPartition=1

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="xxxxx" ;sets admin password"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

OEMDuplicatorstring="Sysprep"

TimeZone=35

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

FullName="XXXXXXX"

OrgName="XXXXXXX"

ComputerName=

[Display]

BitsPerPel=16

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=1

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=914

LongDistanceAccess="9"

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

Language=00000409

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]

Proxy_Enable=0

Use_Same_Proxy=0

[sysprep]

BuildMassStorageSection=Yes

[sysprepMassStorage]

*pnp0a00=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf

*pnp0a01=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf

*pnp0a04=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf

*pnp0a03=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf

pci\cc_0604=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf

pci\cc_0601=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf

pci\cc_0602=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf

pci\cc_0600=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf

You would help to save my life if you can please tell me what I am doing wrong before I start taking heavy doses of medication. I've done about 50 something images between the same two laptops trying to just get this one to work. Please, please, please, point out what I am doing wrong here! Thanks in advance...

-J

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jawrakae

I have the same exact issue, cant find a way to solve the problem, my sysprep.inf file is build exactly like yours, and I also made sure that the driver signing policy is set to Ignore in windows XP. The drivers never load during mini setup and I am building an image for the following systems : DELL Optiplex GX150, GX240, GX260 and GX270. The image dumping process goes beautifully but the drivers are never installed.

As soon as I find out how to fix this issue I will reply again

Phenom

:D

Check this out my friend

Step 1 : make sure that your SYSPREP.inf file contains the following line under the [unattended] section : DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Step 2 : this is the most important part, I thought that SYSPREP was smart enough to go through the entire directory structure of the OemPnPDriverPath but it doesnt seem to be the case. I had to be carefull of where and what I extract from the manufacturer driver package. Take a look at my drivers path structure.

OemPnPDriversPath=BIN\AUDIO\gx240;BIN\AUDIO\gx260;BIN\AUDIO\gx270;BIN\MODEM\gx240;BIN\MODEM\gx260;BIN\MODEM\gx270;

BIN\CHIPSET\gx240;BIN\CHIPSET\gx260;BIN\CHIPSET\gx270;BIN\NET\gx240;BIN\NET\gx260;BIN\NET\gx270;BIN\VIDEO\gx240;BIN\VIDEO\gx260;BIN\VIDEO\gx270

What I did here is instead of extracting the entire content of the package in C:\drivers\AUDIO;C:\drivers\NET;C:\drivers\VIDEO ... I only extracted the required WINXP files for each components of each model GX240, GX260, GX270. I had to seperate them because the driver packages are using same file names between models and we dont want to overwrite the files. So inside every model folders there are no subfolders, only INF, CAT, DLL, SYS, VXD etc... NO EXE and NO CAB files.

I was surprised to see that this last test was successfull because all over the NET, people are saying that the last SYSPREP version for WINXP SP2 is suppose to browse the entire directory structure to find its driver, but beleive me, its not the case.

Try this and come back to me.

Good Luck