Problems with unattended XP and HyperThreading

I discovered that windows freezes in the last reboot after install, when Hyperthreading is enabled in the bios.....It freezes right before the bootscreen appears. If i disabled HT, then it boots up.

On normal XP, HT is working ok

Anyone have any idea what it is?

I have not tampered with the XP install files, or removed any windows components.

Check to see if a newer bios is available for your motherboard.

Process of elimination.

Memtest your ram also to eliminate.

If the motherboard is supporting HT technology, i would presume that the latest bios was installed....it isn't that old that HT thing, right?

BTW, i doubt it is the memory that does it, because it happens on 4 different HT machines.

Are you using any custom bootscreens?

Yes i am using custom bootscreen.

How exactly are you using your custom boot screen? Are you using a modified ntoskrnl and renaming it to oemkrnl or something else?

If so, I beleive you need to use a modified NTKRNLMP.EXE for hyperthreading. That's the multiprocessor kernel. Alanoll has a nice script that will chooses the correct kernel for single or dual processor. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...=0entry108366

Are you using any custom bootscreens?

Yes i am using custom bootscreen.

How exactly are you using your custom boot screen? Are you using a modified ntoskrnl and renaming it to oemkrnl or something else?

If so, I beleive you need to use a modified NTKRNLMP.EXE for hyperthreading. That's the multiprocessor kernel. Alanoll has a nice script that will chooses the correct kernel for single or dual processor. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...=0entry108366

This is what my batch file says:

ECHO Installing Custom Boot Screen
ATTRIB C:\boot.ini -H -R -A -S
bootcfg /raw /A /ID 1 /KERNEL=KERNEL1.EXE
ATTRIB C:\boot.ini +H +R +A +S
ECHO.

If Kernel1.exe is a modified ntoskrnl.exe, it will not work for hyperthreading. You will need a modified ntkrnlmp.exe. I'm pretty sure that's where your problem lies since it happens only on HT systems.

Is there a place I can download that bootscreen from? If so, I can try to make a modified ntkrnlmp.exe for you to use...

If Kernel1.exe is a modified ntoskrnl.exe, it will not work for hyperthreading. You will need a modified ntkrnlmp.exe. I'm pretty sure that's where your problem lies since it happens only on HT systems.

ok, thanks dude..

Where do i get that kernel, and does that one work on "non-HT" machines?

ntkrnlmp will not work on single processor systems. That's why you would need to use a script like Alanoll's.

Setup will determine whether you have a single or dual(or ht) processors and use the appropriate kernel. I think it even renames ntkrnlmp to ntoskrnl for use on multi-processor systems.

ntkrnlmp.exe is in the i386 folder of the XP CD. Also in the Driver.cab.