Going Unattended on Windows 2000 with RIS

Hey all

I'm about to setup up a unattended installation of Windows 2000 that will be deployed via a RIS server. I read somewhere in this forum, that the folder layout is not the same as in a normal unattended (The $OEM$ Distribution Folders?).

Do any of you guys have a good source of information about this, and maybe some tips for a newbie in the RIS+Unattended world.

Thanks, Egil.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2000/install/RIS.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...t/superris.mspx

The $oem$ folder is placed along side the I386 folder for a CD based unattended installation. For a unattended installation from a network share/ris server. the $oem$ directory is placed inside the I386 directory.

I'm sure others will post lots of tips and/or links.

Good luck.

The $oem$ folder is placed along side the I386 folder for a CD based unattended installation. For a unattended installation from a network share/ris server. the $oem$ directory is placed inside the I386 directory.

I'm sure others will post lots of tips and/or links.

Good luck.

Nope. For RIS the $oem$ folder is also placed alongside the i386 folder, just like in the CD unattend install. Only for a winnt32.exe network share setup do you need to put $oem$ within i386.

You will need to edit your current winnt.sif file and overwrite the standard ristndrd.sif file, which is located in the ..\i386\templates folder of your RIS flat image folder structure. Use setupmgr.exe to modify the winnt.sif and resave it as ristndrd.sif. You may have to manually tweak the ristndrd.sif file to make sure the OemPreInstall=yes is set and possibly add the correct paths to your drivers in OemPnPDriversPath= line.

Thanks a bunch. While I was searching through this forum for information on the topic, I noticed a few posted, where poeple was using environment variables that I wasnt aware of, like for instance %model% and more.

I havent been able to find a complete list of environment variables thats available during installation. Can anyone help me out?

Update: Maybe there isnt any more environment variables avail, but people are just making up their own ones via a custemized OSChooser?