Windows XP Unattended Install

Hello Fellow MSFN Members!,

I am requesting your assistance today because my install does not function correctly. Before you think I am some n00b because of my Post Count please know that I have searched this forum for nearly 5 hours on this very day. I find my problem to be either unique or a combination of others, but the point is I cannot seem to solve my dilemma. Without further adieu, my problem:

Using the Unattended Setup Guide on this very website I created a folder (C:\XPCD) and completed the guide. Whilst the Windows Setup is copying over the files to C:\ for install purposes it gives me an error. It says it cannot copy the file "sysmain.sdb." Searching in numerous forums for a similar inquiry to mine I was unfortunate enough to not come across anything. The choices I am presented with are F3 - To Quit, Enter - To Try Again, or ESC - To Skip the File. Checking and double-checking my processes after each failed attempt to install via Virtual PC I find that after installing Windows XP the final restart hangs at the Windows XP Professional Logo. This odd feeling comes over me as I enter safe mode. It automatically logs me in as "Darkness," which is supposed to be an Administrator Account. It turns out it is Limited. I press Windows Key + L and type in the User Name box "Administrator," with the corresponding password I had setup earlier. Taking a peek at the User Accounts under Control Panel I find only Administrator and Guest (which is disabled). Creating a New User by the name of "Darkness" yields a message informing me that such an account already exists. Pressing the Windows Key + L again and attempting to enter "Darkness" in the User Name field turns out hopeless. No matter what password I use, blank or the password I originally setup.

Perhaps some of the most knowledgeable and good-hearted people may be willing to help me out. I appreciate all contributions made to this topic and will most certainly give credit where it is needed.

Sincerely,

hp_spec

EDIT: Minor Spelling Errors

This may not be the answer, but it sounds suspiciously like a bad or incompatible burn of the CD.

A friend of mine did a normal install with a bad disk one day and skipped a (Not the same one) file and in the end the install was a failure.

I would make sure that the disk or the drive or both are not bad.

Good luck!

Jason.

Hey que3jxp,

First of all, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I am using an Image (.ISO) and mounting it through Virtual PC 2004. Where is 'sysmain.sdb' anyway? I cannot find it on my original XP Pro CD anyway.

Sincerely,

hp_spec

Hey que3jxp,

First of all, thank you for the reply.  Unfortunately, I am using an Image (.ISO) and mounting it through Virtual PC 2004.  Where is 'sysmain.sdb' anyway?  I cannot find it on my original XP Pro CD anyway.

Sincerely,

hp_spec

I'd reckon it's the \i386\sysmain.sb_ decompressed.

Hey JAsT,

Thank you for the suggestion, I'm going to try to decompress it and test it from there.  If anybody else has suggestions please reply to this post!!

Sincerely,

hp_spec

were you able to see the file on your CD?

Were you able to decompress it?

JAsT,

I found the file on an original XP CD and copied into the I386 Folder. The SYSMAIN.SDB was not on the original cd so I decided not to decompress the SYSMAIN.SD_ that was found.

Sincerely,

hp_spec

JAsT,

I found the file on an original XP CD and copied into the I386 Folder.  The SYSMAIN.SDB was not on the original cd so I decided not to decompress the SYSMAIN.SD_ that was found.

Sincerely,

hp_spec

If I'm not mistaken, all those files under i396 that end in underscores are compressed installation files. Therefore, when an install complains about not being able to copy a file, you would want to check for the same file name but ending in an underscore to check the integrity of the compressed installation file.

Corrections anyone?

Did copying the decompressed file resolve your issue?