hal.dll not found

pascha

I changed the grafic cards from Matrox to Gforce 4. First I changed back to VGA, than via software I could deinstall (remove only) the matrox driver. The routine said I schould switch the pc off, what I did. I changed now the AGP cards and started the pc. Out of the sudden there is a message saying "windows root/system32/hal.dll" is missing or destroyed, however I didnt touch anything. XP Prof and it is a Standard PC configuration.

Any help?

Thanks for the hal.dll. To copy the .dll to a NTFS formatted partition was not so easy, but I managed it. The result? The pc started again and the answer was the same as before. The problem may be that XP is not on C:, its on D:. C: is formatted with Fat 32 and D: and the other partitions and drives with NTFS.

Thanks for the hal.dll. To copy the .dll to a NTFS formatted partition was not so easy, but I managed it. The result? The pc started again and the answer was the same as before. The problem may be that XP is not on C:, its on D:. C: is formatted with Fat 32 and D: and the other partitions and drives with NTFS.

well, if that didn't fix it , i would advise a repair installation of XP because hal.dll is the Hardware abstraction layer which is pretty important for the correct operation of your computer...

What you need to do to run the repair is to run the XP setup regularly, and then it will find a copy of XP and will ask you if you want to repair, then select yes, and all should be well after that...

I hope that helps,

Blackwar