Removal of Windows Media Player 9 in Windows 2003

whenever i open a mediafile in windows 2003 the windows media player 9 setup pops up. i haven't installed it and i don't plan to. i want to use a third party player (media player classic).

although i defined mpc as standard player for the media files in the file types menu the wmp 9 setup still keeps starting. i even deleted any wmp9 entry from the reg and replaced it with a corresponding path of mpc. this didn't work either and it still loads up after klicking such a file.

replacing the wmplayer.exe with a renamed mpc.exe doesn't work, too. windows recognises the change after a few settings and replaces the fake file with the original.

does anyone know a tool how to overcome this prob? or does anyone know how at least stop windows from checking if the wmp-files are still original?

any help is appreciated. thnx in advance

meanwhile i found out that some players are capable of registering filetypes to them (e.g. realplayer or winamp 5) and others are not. so i installed winamp 5 and let it register all media file types to it. then i replaced the winamp.exe with a renamed mplayerc.exe. the only thing left to do was unchecking the dde option for every registered filetype and voila... it worked :)

i'm still wondering why some players are still overrun by wmp 9 :rolleyes:

so if anyone has concrete information i would be very glad :D