Problems with Network installation from winPE

JohnBro

this is probably such a noob Question but ok here goes

recently i have been given a task to create a server with the OPK of MS, my problem however lies in my lack of experiance i am sure.

after installing OPK and copying the i386 file of windows XP home dutch to "E:\OPKTools\Lang\DUT\sku\per.sp1\x86" and my config settings to "E:\OPKTools\cfgsets" which are the correct locations or so i am told.

now when i boot my system that needs to be installed with winPE and a floppy with winbom.ini, i get one of the following error each time: "Can't find C:\sysprep\sysprep.exe" this is my 20th attempt of it and i still can't get it to work

does anyone know what my problem is ?

just another update on this situation, it seems that my windows 2003 server seems to be losing its network name at times, hence the fact that some installs go wrong, all in all this is a nice method in doin unattended installations with windows PE, the OPK works like a charm but there is alot of modifying that needs doing

before this server will actually be of any use

• 2 weeks later...
just another update on this situation, it seems that my windows 2003 server seems to be losing its network name at times, hence the fact that some installs go wrong, all in all this is a nice method in doin unattended installations with windows PE, the OPK works like a charm but there is alot of modifying that needs doing

before this server will actually be of any use

Are you using Ghost or other imaging software? I've found that because I use Ghost (made a image right after GUI mode setup, but before first boot) that every system made from that image gets the same network name. This causes the first system with X name to boot and be able to contact the server via it's "computer name", but every system thereafter cannot. The solution I've found is to refer to the computer by it's IP address.

If I recall... Sysprep can ONLY reside in the c:\sysprep folder.

It is hard coded to look there.

Here is a cut and past from teh Sysprep help file about how to set it up...

Click Start, click Run, and then type:

cmd

At the command prompt, change to the root of the system drive (%SYSTEMDRIVE%), and then type:

md sysprep

From the \Support\Tools\Deploy.cab file of the Windows XP product CD, copy Sysprep.exe and Setupcl.exe to the Sysprep folder that you created.

Chris