Tearing My Hair Out With RegTweaks

heres my cmdlines.txt:

[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\RegTweaksHKLM.reg"
"REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\RegTweaksHKCU.reg"
"REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\RegTweaksHKUD.reg"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

here's an excerpt from my runonceex.cmd:

REG ADD %KEY%\180 /V 11 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\RegTweaksHKLM.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\180 /V 12 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\RegTweaksHKCU.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\180 /V 13 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\RegTweaksHKUD.reg" /f

this runs the regtweaks, ive seperated it into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT one. the HKUD file is just a duplicate of the HKCU file but with 'hkey_current_user' changed to 'hkey_users\.default', now this is running at both the gui setup and on first logon.

for administrator all the tweaks work fine, but when i create a new user, and log in, any current user tweaks havent been applied. its like in the gui setup the regtweaks arent having any effect.

can someone point me in the right direction as im stuck for things to try. as you can see im running them twice to make sure, and all the CURRENT_USER tweaks ive applied to USERS\.DEFAULT to see if that makes any difference.

Bald yet?

First, simplify things. For what you want to work, you need apply the settings to the HKCU at T-13. The settings to HKU are not important: they only effect the system when no one is logged on, e.g. boot up. The do NOT effect the default user. Not do you want to be applying the tweaks twice. No need: do it right the first time. So ... eliminate the calls to the .reg files from RunOnceEx, get rid of the *HKUD.reg file, and debug from there. That is the way it is meant to work.

Good luck!

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/cmdlines.htm

yeah shortly after i read about the USERS\.DEFAULT key and it makes sense. do you think the reg file isnt being applied? ill try adding a specific key in it to test. so if the CURRENT_USER tweaks get applied during the GUI Setup will they affect Administrator? cuz i read somewhere (i think) that that account has already been created and so the tweaks won't affect it. thanks for your info so far, ill have a read.

can i run the reg files from the cmdlines.txt like i have, or would it be better to use a .cmd file that imports it? does it matter?

also i remember reading a command lien of way of specifying which ntuser.dat to apply the tweaks to. it was in my old QuickLaunch.cmd, but i found a different way so i havn't got that file anymore.

Got It Working!

cmdlines.txt:

[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S RegTweaksHKLM.reg"
"REGEDIT /S RegTweaksHKCU.reg"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

all these files are in $OEM$

god knows why it wasn't working before, i'd tried allsorts! cheers for your help greenmachine.