Win2000 Slipstreaming + more updates

Hi everyone,

I've taken on the task of creating a bootable Win2k CD with SP4 slipstreamed, and have managed to apply the updated files to the installation root. I am however wondering about hotfixes like Windows2000-KB823182-x86-ENU.exe for example, I've read a million sites each with different methods using svcpack.inf or extracting the .cab file from it to \i386\SVCPACK ..etc

Are there any proven and proper methods anyone has used with success here? Another important thing I have to accomplish is include the IE6 SP1 update, DirectX, and the latest Windows Media Player to the installation CD. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for all the input!

• 5 months later...

ok i hope you appreciate this cos i registered just to answer you - the only safe + reliable method is to put the fully downloaded versions (not launchers that download from MS website**) of the updates onto the CD in another folder - you will need to do this anyway for your driver updates/DirectX/Media player/IE6/Firewall etc. so it's only a couple more things to add :/

**all updates have a network install or install later version make sure you get those as the only place people seem to go wrong with this method is downloading the install launcher that needs to connect to the MS>.com website to complete installation which of course you probably {can't do/don't want to do} until you get all you drivers and everything updated

OK man, this will be long, so please read carefully:

Critical updates, and other types of updates other than service packs, cannot be directly integrated into installation files. Instead, you can follow these steps to automatically apply critical updates to a newly installed computer:

Open the \i386\dosnet.inf file, and add svcpack to the [OptionalSrcDirs] section. For example, this section will now contain:

[OptionalSrcDirs]

uniproc

svcpack

Note The Dosnet.inf file included with Windows 2000 already contains the [OptionalSrcDirs] section, but you might have to create the section for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Create a \i386\svcpack\ folder.

Copy the update packages that you want to integrate, such as WindowsServer2003-KB999997-x86-ENU.exe, to the \i386\svcpack\ folder.

Rename the packages to fit the 8.3 naming convention using the format KB######.exe, where ###### is the Microsoft Knowledge Base article number associated with the update.

Open a command prompt, and extract each of the update packages to a unique temporary folder. For example, to extract the files for an update package to a folder named C:\ExtractedUpdates\KB824145\, type the following command at a command prompt:

KB824145 /X:C:\ExtractedUpdates\KB824145\

From the Update subfolder of the folder you extracted the update to, copy the catalog file, KB######.cat, to the \i386\svcpack\ folder.

Locate the binary files included with the update.

Security updates, critical updates, update rollups, drivers, and feature packs for Windows contains two copies of the same files in the RTMGDR and RTMQFE folders, which were created when you extracted the update. Files in the xxxGDR folders contain only general distribution release (GDR) class fixes. Files in the xxxQFE folders are cumulative and contain both the GDR-class fixes and all previous hotfixes that affect the included binaries, and they should generally be used for integrated installations. Some updates include different versions of files to be applied to computers with different service pack levels. These files will be placed in a folder named after the next sequential service pack. For example, if your installation source is Windows 2000 Service Pack 1, you must use the files from the SP2QFE directory.

For each binary file (such as .exe, .dll, or .sys files) included in the folder you extracted the update to, determine whether the same file exists in the \i386 folder. The files in the \i386 folder might have an underscore for the last character in the file’s extension. For example, Rpcss.dll is named Rpcss.dl_ in the \i386 folder. If there are two copies of a file, delete the original file from the \i386 folder.

Look in the folder into which you extracted the update for any subfolders that have the same name as a subfolder of the \i386 installation folder. If a folder contains any such subfolders, copy the updated binary files to the appropriate subfolder of \i386. For example, if the update included a subfolder named Uniproc, copy the files in the Uniproc folder to \i386\Uniproc.

For each file that you copied, except for KB######.cat, look in the \i386\Dosnet.inf file to determine if the file name is listed in the [Files] section. All the files that are listed in the [Files] section are preceded by “d1,”. If a file is not listed, add an entry using the format d1,filename. For example, if the update contains Win32k.sys, add d1,win32k.sys to the [Files] section of \i386\Dosnet.inf. This addition ensures that the updated versions of the files are copied during Windows setup.

Delete the \i386\Svcpack.in_ file.

Use Notepad to create a Svcpack.inf text file in the \i386 folder. To do so, use the appropriate following content, depending on whether you want to deploy a single update or multiple updates. Replace ###### with the Knowledge Base article numbers for your update .cat file:

For Windows 2000 installations:

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

MajorVersion=5

MinorVersion=0

BuildNumber=2195

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\i386\svcpack"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

KB######.cat

[setupHotfixesToRun]

KB######.exe /Z /M

For Windows XP installations:

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

MajorVersion=5

MinorVersion=1

BuildNumber=2600

[setupData]

KB######.cat

[setupHotfixesToRun]

KB######.exe /Z /M

For Windows Server 2003 installations:

[Version] Signature="$Windows NT$"

MajorVersion=5

MinorVersion=2

BuildNumber=3790

[setupData]

KB######.cat

[setupHotfixesToRun]

KB######.exe /Z /M

Hi! Did you have any joy getting RunOnceEx.cmd (called from CMDLINES.TXT) to run successfully for Windows 2000 Professional SP4?

Are the reg keys the same for RunOnceEx.cmd as I have tried but my c:\install folder remains after 1st reboot and the RunOnceEx.cmd has not run.

The other thing which is bugging me is that most of the updates for 2000 classed as critical appear to affect Internet Explorer. As IE6SP1 cannot be installed (?) until AFTER the svcpack.inf method (as described above) - you must have to run any IE-related updates/hotfixes after IE6 as part of the RunOnceEx.cmd?

As I cannot get RunOnceEx.cmd to run - this is speculation :wacko:

RunOnceEx.cmd (Windows 2000 - called from CMDLINES.TXT)

cmdow @ /HID
@Echo Off

rem PP=

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Preparing Installation..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\prepare.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Internet Explorer 6 SP1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\IE6\ie6setup.exe  /q:a" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "Adobe Reader 6.0.2 CE Full" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Adobe602\AR602CE.MSI /qb" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /VE /D "Microsoft Java VM (Build 3810)" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\004 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\JavaVM\MSJAVA_FULL.EXE" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1 SP1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\NetFramework\netfxsp1.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\008 /VE /D "Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate 9.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\008 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\sav\SAV.MSI ADDLOCAL=SAVMain,SAVUI,SAVHelp,EMailTools,OutlookSnapin,Pop3Smtp ENABLEAUTOPROTECT=1 RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\009 /VE /D "Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Build 1.05" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\009 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\AdAware\aawse105.exe /s" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\009 /V 2 /D "taskkill /IM Ad-Aware.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\009 /V 3 /D "taskkill /IM hh.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\009 /V 4 /D "taskkill /IM Ad-Aware.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "WinRAR Corporate Edition 3.20" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\WinRAR\WRAR320.EXE" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\014 /VE /D "Macromedia Shockwave 8 Plug-In" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\014 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\FLASH\SHOCK8.msi /qb" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /VE /D "Macromedia Flash 7 Plug-In" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\FLASH\FLASH7.msi /qb" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\016 /VE /D "Media Player 10" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\016 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\WMP10\MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:\"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore\"" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\019 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\019 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT